What will a 160 thermostat do for my car? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will a 160 thermostat do for my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will a 160 thermostat do for my car?

i have a 2000 3.8 firebird, what does a thermostat do to my car in performance terms?
    2000 silver pontiac firebird (fully loaded)<p>Performance: K&N filter, carbon fiber whisper lid, SLP ram air, air temp module, 80 series flowmaster.<p>Non-Performance: rim spinner lights, carbon fiber pedals, reflective pontiac on back, PA system with CB, Cobra Radar, and etc.

Well, a 160 degree thermostat doesn't do anything by itself. From what I understand all it does is tell the waterpump when to start circulating water to cool your engine. So, the lower the number, the earlier the water kicks on, the cooler your engine runs. A cooler running engine is always good. Remember Heat=BAD. You'll get a little extra power....maybe. However, the drawback will be a small hit to your fuel economy, as the engine now has to work harder to power the water pump, a little earlier.

Good Luck,
    Ryan
    1997 Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Camaro RS A4<br /><br />Mods:<br />Aluminum Driveshaft, Z-style hood, headers, B&B Cat Back, fan switch, BMR Suspension, Silver Gauges w/blue interior lights, Clear Corners and Sidemarkers, Power antenna, 18\"x9\" OZ Superleggera Wheels

Comment

Now, if you have a 2001 and try to put a 160 in, you will get an SEs light, constant cooling fans, and lose your engine temperature. But, I haven;t heard of problems with the 2000's. But, the purpose is to lower your engine temperature to get colder air. Colder air is denser air, therefore for the same volume, you can get a litle more air (although working for an air separation company, it isn't much!!). Relative to the PCM, the engine is colder. The PCM injects more fuel to try to raise the engine temperature. With the 160 stat, the engine temperature will not increase. So, a little more power at the expense of fuel. An hpp III increases the spark time to try to combust the extra fuel.

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

Don't put it on unless you get a programmer.
        1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

A 180 thermo is working for me. I would recommend it, but I think the 2000 models come with one.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
            by ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
            1 week ago
          • RPDRed6
            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
            by RPDRed6
            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
            3 weeks ago
          • ssms5411
            No start problem
            by ssms5411
            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
            4 weeks ago
          • SixShooter'00Camaro
            Revival
            by SixShooter'00Camaro
            Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X