Lots of white smoke after head gaskets replaced - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of white smoke after head gaskets replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lots of white smoke after head gaskets replaced

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
    what's a ballpark price to have your heads milled? I had a guy who did all of my work on my last engine, but he passed away so I'm gonna have to take my current engine to a shop...

and loochy, there shouldn't have been enough pressure in your cooling system for coolant to push into the cylinders after only a couple minutes... your thermostat probably never even opened. My guess is that there's some residue that's burning off. If it were me, I would just start it again, and monitor it closely for any noise or rough idling and watch for the smoke to go away. If the smoke continues to get worse, then shut it down and take it in...

You could try checking the plugs and oil for anything amiss, but my guess is it's fine
    There is a shop just off of the Sharronville exit on I-275 in Cincinnati. I know how to get there but don't recall the name of the shop or the street. I can find out for you. I had a set of 305 heads milled, ported and polished for $400 cash. That was in '03. Let me know if your interested and I'll see what I can do to locate a number.

Comment

:omg: The - smoke - went - away :omg:
      Last edited by Loochy88; 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

freaking out for nothing

Comment

Does it seem to be otherwise running OK though?
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
            Does it seem to be otherwise running OK though?
            sounds good, no funny noises. I need to flush the cooling system and refill. Oil on the dipstick looked normal.

I did feel like it was heating a little too quick...

That video is actually the second time I ran it. By the time the car finished burning off the steam it was hovering just over the 210 mark. It didnt take too long to get there so that made me a little nervous... but I'm still working on bringing the coolant level back up to full. (started by just filling the radiator, but obviously it takes a few fills as it cycles through the system.)

yeah, and the car needs a new battery big time.

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Jtels2593 View Post
              There is a shop just off of the Sharronville exit on I-275 in Cincinnati. I know how to get there but don't recall the name of the shop or the street. I can find out for you. I had a set of 305 heads milled, ported and polished for $400 cash. That was in '03. Let me know if your interested and I'll see what I can do to locate a number.
              There's a shop I know of locally that I'm gonna check on, if that doesn't work out I'll let ya know... thanks
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

That's great that it seems to be running fine. Don't forget to bleed to cooling system.
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Great news. X2 on the system bleeding. Be sure to do it multiple times, and you may even want to check the level in the radiator frequently for the first week or so in the morning when it is cool. Mine needed topped off about 1/4" each day for about a week and now the level is holding steady in the 100+ degree weather we are having.

Also, regarding the 3.8 heads. Both sides are the same head (same casting number, etc.) so the driver's side is interchangeable with the passenger's side. This is why the spark plugs face forward on one side and towards the firewall on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderman View Post
                    Also, regarding the 3.8 heads. Both sides are the same head (same casting number, etc.) so the driver's side is interchangeable with the passenger's side. This is why the spark plugs face forward on one side and towards the firewall on the other.
                    Hmmm interesting factoid. I never thought about that but now that you mention it, that would explain it.

Comment

Still, I know we got them right... was a bit funny that I couldn't figure it out at first.

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X