3.8L Waterpump/Thermostat/Radiator R&R (pic heavy) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.8L Waterpump/Thermostat/Radiator R&R (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8L Waterpump/Thermostat/Radiator R&R (pic heavy)

Listening to Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' CD, I just hammered my sixth last cold Heineken and decided to show you guys what I did on 9/11. It was easy yet very involved, what isn't on these 3.8L motors?
    On with the pic show....I ordered these parts in advance from RockinAuto lol.

Gates Upper & Lower Hoses:

Gates 180* Thermostat:

Autozone had the thermostat O-Ring and Gasket:
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Re: 3.8L Waterpump/Thermostat/Radiator R&R (pic heavy)

AC Delco Waterpump & Gasket maker:

I took the time to prepare the waterpump gasket and RTV on both sides:

Here's the old waterpump, noisy and original from 1996! Time to rip it off:

After removal, I cleaned the blocks mating surface real nice, left this sensor alone:
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Good work. I like to see people doing their own car work :).
      sigpic

Comment

Remove the waterpump pulley with the seprentine belt still on for easier bolt removal:

Here's the old waterpump. Take note that the bolts that support it are of totally different sizes. Youre gonna use a 3/8ths socket for little ones & 1/2" socket for the big ones. When you remove the bolts, place them in their respective holes you removed them from to avoid major confusion and frustration:

Cleaned all bolts with a drill and wire cup brush, the bolts have old sealant from the factory. Here I am applying thread sealant to avoid leaks:

Lookin' real nice now, this was very easy to do but ya gotta do it right:

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
          Good work. I like to see people doing their own car work :).
          Thanks man ! I love wrenching on any year Camaro or Trans Am! :D

Comment

Here we have the EGR tube removed for easier thermostat access. Cleaned surfaces shiny. Thermostat housing prep too:

Comment

This is the 14 yr old thermostat O-Ring, very worn so it was trashed:

The O-Ring is tapered so don't screw this up. Correct orientation:

Pop that thermostat in and bolt down the thermostat housing.

The bolt on the top left is short, the long one is on the bottom right. EGR tube assembly bolt is separate size too:

Comment

Removed the battery and coolant reservoir.

Just beyond your hood latch, peek down to view these two plastic clips, they must be unclipped for easier radiator removal. I learned that the condenser sits piggyback with the radiator so get under the car and start unplugging your fan motors and loosening the lower AC line.

Fan motors need to be unplugged and slid upwards

Comment

Every part was buttoned up one at a time. Here I bolted the condenser, radiator together and installed the fan motor assembly.

Reinstalled serpentine belt and tightened waterpump pulley bolts crisscross pattern.

Final part was the top radiator cover support, 3 bolts hold it down. Throttle body snorkel was next along with air filter box. Reassembly completed.

Engine took nearly 3 gallons of Prestone 50/50 mix. With high heat on full blast, I bled the cooling system of any air. Refilled the coolant reservoir with a half gallon of 50/50 and looked for any leaks. Surprisingly there was no leaks detected so I went out for a highway cruise. 317,000 miles already and nearly 70 mph constant, the temp gauge was pegged nicely where I expected:

Comment

Cleaned all bolts with a drill and wire cup brush, the bolts have old sealant from the factory. Here I am applying thread sealant to avoid leaks
                    I love my wire cup brush :) haha

Comment

sounds like a fun weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Derek3.4 View Post
                        sounds like a fun weekend
                        Yes sir it was. I even woke up very early I recall to a bright and crisp day to work on the Camaro. At days end the job turned out flawless.

3 days later, so far so good...

Original heater core next maybe but it hasn't busted yet. Rolling dice this winter.

Comment

I'd go ahead and replace it before it gets cold if you worry about it. Working on things outside in the winter sucks.

Comment

Great job. I really need to replace my radiator in the very near future. Hope it's a simple gig.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Great post, I liked looking at all those pics.
                              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X