Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Smokes

Alright..

Here's the situation. My car just started smoking a little while back. I doesn't do it all the time, only when it's just started. I let it run for a little and the smoking stops.. Can anyone tell me what's causing this and how to fix it?

It does it when ever the car sits for a little bit. A couple hours or so I would say. :mad:
    2000 Camaro Z/28

Could be a bad piston ring (do a compression test)....could be bad valve seals (although this isn't as much of a problem as it was on cars years ago)....could be dirty injectors, fouled plugs, or even a bad catalytic converter. Are you getting an SES light? Does it smoke at wide-open throttle? How many miles are on the car? Also, what color is the smoke?

[ March 29, 2002: Message edited by: Fin ]</p>
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

I would say Valve seals, oil seaping in causes the smoke at start up
      97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

I was thinking valve seals too.
        Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, too, even when I typed what I did about valve seals not being as much of a trouble spot like they used to be, they still go bad, so that could very well be the problem.
          2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

It's like a greyish, blue looking color. I was thinking that it was the valve seals, but I wasn't all that sure..
            2000 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Sounds like burning oil....most likely either valve seals or piston rings then :(

Comment

mine did that when i spilled oil on the manifolds
                doesnt sound like your problem though
                it didnt stop after the car was runnin... it was funny, i went into the mall with smoke comin out of my hood expecting someone to call over the PA system that my car was on fire... they didnt though
                www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DrSquirts:
                  mine did that when i spilled oil on the manifolds
                  <hr></blockquote>

Sounds familar...I had a customer at work yesterday who didn't know she could roll her power windows up w/the engine off, so she starts the car up (of course the oil cap on the valve cover is off), then proceeds to blow oil all over her engine compartment & the windshield of her car :eek:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X