Car loses power hitting a bump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car loses power hitting a bump.

The last few days I noticed my car is losing power if I hit a bump. The trip meter resets and my gauges die for a second. What could be causing this? I initially thought bad battery terminal contact but the alternator should keep the car running, no?
    sigpic

Re: Car loses power hitting a bump.

Sounds like a bad ground wire. Either the connection or the wire itself could be bad. Check all your grounds not just on the battery.

Comment

/\ bingo
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
        Sounds like a bad ground wire. Either the connection or the wire itself could be bad. Check all your grounds not just on the battery.
        Had this happen to me before. the connection on the battery was not tightened all the way. So a hard take off or a bump would move it around, shutting my car off or flicking the lights.
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

I agree, it must be a bad ground wherever the instrument panel hooks up. You may need a schematic to see where the wire is for the instrument panel.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

@all

I'm going to check all my grounds tomorrow.

@Rob Bell

It's not just the instrument panel. The car loses power all together :(.
            sigpic

Comment

In that case, yeah, check the main grounds in the engine bay. Also make sure your PCM harnesses are snug.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Yep. Check the connections to the battery terminal.

Two weeks after I got the Z31. I had the car out to show a friend and let him drive some. On the way back I rounded a corner, got up to the gate, and punched the code waiting for it to open. Once it opened, I started to edge it forward and right as I went through a small dip, bam, it died. No power, nothing. Windows were down and go figure it started pouring. Had to run to the other car, get the tool kit out, and tighten the connection at the battery to get power and roll the windows back up. Simple as that.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Figured it out, the drivers side fuse box (in the engine bay) was loose at the auxilary positive battery port on that side. so each time it bounced it lost power. The car runs fine off the alternator, the battery does not have to be plugged in.
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X