Car Running Warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Running Warm

Ok, well I replaced my head gaskets and had the heads shaved due to one of them being warped. The car now runs fine. One issue is the temp gauge seems to be showing that my car is running warmer than I remember. Gauge is sitting about a 1/16" below the half way mark when im cruising. Does anyone know why this might be. I replaced the thermostat when I put everything back together. One thought that could be the issue is I didnt put the heat shields back over the exhaust manifolds. Would this cause the engine temp to be running this much higher?

Thanks for your help

Re: Car Running Warm

If its below the half way mark you are not running too hot. That is where mine usually runs in the summer. Could it be you might have installed a higher temperature thermostat?

Comment

those gauges arent super accurate. by your description it seems fine for a stock setup. Mine runs cooler when cruising with the electric water pump tho.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. I know its not running too hot, but it is hotter than i remember. I was mainly seeing if anyone thought that it could be because I no longer have the heat shields on. The thermostat is a possibility, I just got one from advanced. Didn't really check to see if it was for factory settings or not.

Comment

Mine is totally stock and runs just a tad below the 210 mark. I'm not sure if it's 1/16 or 1/8 inch, but it's right in there.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Thought I might chime in here, my car runs at the first line (195, I think) when I'm cruising, but if I sit idling it flies right up to the center line (210) and stays there until I get back up to speed, then it goes back down to the first line. One of the mechanics I talk to seems to think this is bad mojo, and I JUST had the entire cooling system overhauled, including thermostat. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
              Thought I might chime in here, my car runs at the first line (195, I think) when I'm cruising, but if I sit idling it flies right up to the center line (210) and stays there until I get back up to speed, then it goes back down to the first line. One of the mechanics I talk to seems to think this is bad mojo, and I JUST had the entire cooling system overhauled, including thermostat. Thoughts?
              If your guage is "flies" up I doubt its anything mechanical. An engine can't heat up your coolant instantly so I would guess either some air in the system or a sensor or guage problem.

Comment

@Cool81z28

I'm not sure if he literally means flies up. I know if I idle for a few minutes my temperature increases by 10-15 degrees even with the electric water pump.
                sigpic

Comment

you need to get an obd scanner and get the real temp of the engine.

my gauge shows 160 when it is at 190F

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                    you need to get an obd scanner and get the real temp of the engine.

my gauge shows 160 when it is at 190F

this...whether my cars at 215 or if its a 170, it always looks the same on the stock gauge. not accurate at all. From the sounds of it, I think your fine.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                      this...whether my cars at 215 or if its a 170, it always looks the same on the stock gauge. not accurate at all. From the sounds of it, I think your fine.
                      99+ had a "dummy" gauge but everything 98' and below used a real (un-accurate) gauge

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X