gears or exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gears or exhaust

well, i got a little money from uncle sam and i dont know what to do to my car with it.
    should i go for 3:73 or 4:10 gears (3:23's presently) or should i do exhaust? i know my exhaust might be a little backed up...but its only a 3.1, so i dont know.
    im kinda split between them..all opinions welcome
    1992 Camaro RS<br />Performance: K/N filter and custom CAI<br />Stereo/Electronics: 10\" Kicker Subwoofers, DEHP-4400 Pioneer Head Unit<br />Maintenance: New brake lines, New transmission mount<br />Upcoming: Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, Catco Catalytic Converter

Go with the exhaust. You can put 4.10 gears on a 3.1 liter? I have 3.73s on my 3.8 and I think anything higher on it would be way overkill. Exhaust will at least make your car sound nice plus maybe save you some money on gas. Get yourself an air intake if you haven't already.

Comment

Definitely Exhaust! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

Exhaust is good if you want sound.

Gears are great if you want more go.

Actually, for your application I would say go for the gears. 3.1s already sound stock like 3.4 or 3.8s do with cat-back.
        \'01 Camaro M5 1SA \"Lightweight\" hardtop, Bright Red, Ebony cloth, FRA, Whisper Lid, B&B cat-back, Torsen 3.73 LSD, HPPIII (93 octane setting)<p>\'00 Camaro SS M6 T-Top, all GM and most SLP opts., Bright Red, Ebony leather, 4.10s, SLP long tubes, Loudmouth, CNC Stage II H/C, etc.

Comment

'4.10's are overkill' *laughing*

On a small displacement motor with small torque and horsepower values, often times the single best way to combat high ET's is with the use of gearing.

He could even run 4.56's. And it'd be good for about the same gain as 72 Horsepower.
          140 horsepower plus 4.56's is the same multiplied power to the wheels as 212 horsepower with a 3.23 gear.

With a 26" tire and 4.56's you'll have your 1:1 gear good for up to 93 MPH - and you won't trap that high without a lot more power to weight. Your top speed would be around 126 MPH

I'd go with the gears man (and posi), that will cut your ET's better than anything else.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]</p>
          <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
            by ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
            1 week ago
          • RPDRed6
            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
            by RPDRed6
            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
            3 weeks ago
          • ssms5411
            No start problem
            by ssms5411
            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X