Ignition Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Systems

Any preferences out there for new ignition boxes and coils. I know the big favoriteis MSD, but has anyone had any luck with anything else, or have you used the MSD and noticed a difference? Also, what plugs have you folks had any luck with...getting to be time to do the ole tune up.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    1997 Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Camaro RS A4<br /><br />Mods:<br />Aluminum Driveshaft, Z-style hood, headers, B&B Cat Back, fan switch, BMR Suspension, Silver Gauges w/blue interior lights, Clear Corners and Sidemarkers, Power antenna, 18\"x9\" OZ Superleggera Wheels

As of right now, the only company making an ignition box for the 3.8L is MSD. Jacobs is thinking about coming out with one, Crane says "no", and Holley won't even think about it. As for the coil packs, MSD just released their's (i'm supposed to get a prototype test set). Other than them, you have the infamous Accel (highly non-recomended) and Jacobs (haven't heard yay or nah on them).

I'm gonna try and get my box and coils by Power Tour, but not really sure if that's gonna happen

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ksbandit:
      As for the coil packs, MSD just released their's (i'm supposed to get a prototype test set). Other than them, you have the infamous Accel (highly non-recomended) and Jacobs (haven't heard yay or nah on them).<hr></blockquote>

I saw the MSD coils in the new summit catalog....I don't think they're prototypes. Are they?
      What's wrong with the Accel coils? I was thinking of getting a set. I haven't heard anything bad about them.
      <b>94 Firebird, 3.4 V6, Red, M5</b><br /> SLP CAI, Accel 8mm Superstock Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Borla Exhaust, BMR Strut Tower Brace, 180* Thermostat, B&M Ripper Shifter<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird</a>

Comment

Quicksilver...i have a brand new MSD 6A ignition for sale.....never installed, in the box. 180$ email me if interested.

Comment

Any DIS Ignition amplifier / system will work. A new Holley ($1500 retail) went on eBay just today / yesterday or so for $825.
          Accel (and Jacobs?) make aftermarket coils.
          -Rob

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]</p>
          <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Yes, as of right now MSD has not released the coils. They haven't gotten their first run made. I am supposed to get the FIRST set for testing.

As for the 6AL box...it will NOT work on our cars. It has to be the DIS4 box.

And for the Accel coils, the coils have been nothing but trouble since I put them on, misfiring... power surges, dead RPM ranges when at running temp.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X