fuel pump whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump whine

Sometimes my fuel pump starts to whine really loud after driving for a while. Like this weekend I took a six hour trip and when I would stop I could totally hear it, louder than it usually is. Could this be an indication its going out??
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Re: fuel pump whine

yea i think so... mine is starting to do the same thing.

Comment

If it's emanating from the cargo area, chances are it's gonna give up the ghost.

Mines was suspiciously loud and sure enough it was giving me problems upon start up and then no more fuel pump whine.

Take the time to order one now through RockAuto to save you some money and do what I did, the fuel pump R&R procedure instead of dropping the rear end.

I did that and took me maybe an hour if you follow my link below after careful study with the right tools.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...p+R%26R&page=2

I'll be firing up the grill if you need additional questions answered.
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Its definately fuel pump whine. But when I'm driving it seems to go away, or maybe it is just drowned out by the exhaust. I can't tell. The first time I noticed it I was low on fuel, but now it does it even with 3/4 of a tank. I really don't wanna spend the money on a fuel pump, I just need the car to get me home and back two more times then I go to Korea for a year. When I get back a v8 is going in.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
          Its definately fuel pump whine. But when I'm driving it seems to go away, or maybe it is just drowned out by the exhaust. I can't tell. The first time I noticed it I was low on fuel, but now it does it even with 3/4 of a tank. I really don't wanna spend the money on a fuel pump, I just need the car to get me home and back two more times then I go to Korea for a year. When I get back a v8 is going in.
          its not going to die on you.. mine has been whining very loudly for the passed year

Comment

I'd be very leery of taking that car long distances. You may end up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Have you checked the fuel pressure just to see if it's normal? If it is, you may have enough time left to make those last two trips.

Just be forewarned though, it could die at any moment. Mine seemed perfectly fine and then, w/o warning, left me standed on the interstate in BFE, 120 miles from home.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

It could go any minute, depending on how lucky you are. I think I've been very lucky. Mine whines only occasionally after a long trip and usually only when it's very hot outside. When I idle, it will whine for a little bit and then it goes away. Giving it gas also makes it go away. During short town trips, it usually doesn't whine unless it's really hot. I thought when I was first hearing it that it would be a goner soon, but it's been pretty much two years later and still working... but I could expect it to go out at any moment.
              Yes, I know \"Artic\" should be spelled \"Arctic\". Can any of the mods change this?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                I'd be very leery of taking that car long distances. You may end up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Have you checked the fuel pressure just to see if it's normal? If it is, you may have enough time left to make those last two trips.

Just be forewarned though, it could die at any moment. Mine seemed perfectly fine and then, w/o warning, left me standed on the interstate in BFE, 120 miles from home.

X2, better to be safe than sorry.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X