Smelling Antifreeze...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelling Antifreeze...

I replaced the stock Water Pump about 2 weeks ago, and the stock T-Stat about a month ago... On my second Water Pump I would smell antifreeze and witness my coolant level decrease... I smelled it mainly when I exited the car and popped open the hood and then I visually inspected a leak at the top right corner of the pump (driverside) and I replaced it under warranty...

My third water pump isnt leaking period... I cant find anything... No leaks, the hoses are stock but still fine, the thermostat was just replaced today... I cant find any leaks, no drips on the ground, nothing but a strong antifreeze smell... Infact my coolant level isnt even decreasing... What could be the deal?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Smelling Antifreeze...

It could be a leaking heater core, where you are just getting some steam, so it's enough to smell but not enough to show a leak.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
      It could be a leaking heater core, where you are just getting some steam, so it's enough to smell but not enough to show a leak.
      true but I hope not... I dont smell it even when the heat is on while the vehicle is in motion...I dont really smell it inside the car unless it sits for a long time... but I do smell it as soon as I open the door.

Comment

It's much worse now...I can smell it almost everytime I stop and sometimes when Im driving...

I popped open the hood and the passenger side of the cowl / motor REEKS of Antifreeze... cant smell it period on the driverside... I'm also losing coolant because my reservoir which was full is now empty... but I can't tell where its going.

The Passenger side floor is DRY, no leaks on the floor... ...Cant find any leaks on the ground... just constant smell of antifreeze... The water pump is also dry... all of this was checked with the engine both running and off... whats the deal??
        Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-18-2011, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I've seen a case where a pinhole in the heater hose of a different car was spraying antifreeze onto the manifold so it was melting off immediately, no visual signs but the smell was bad

Comment

Originally posted by timthescarred View Post
            I've seen a case where a pinhole in the heater hose of a different car was spraying antifreeze onto the manifold so it was melting off immediately, no visual signs but the smell was bad
            I second that, I've had that happen to me, but with a radiator hose. Wipe everthing down, top it off with coolant and get it warm while looking and listening for leaks. Once there is some pressure, you might be able to hear the leak if you turn off the engine. I'd check the overflow bottle for leaks too. I would think it would be obvious it if was leaking, but it won't hurt.

Just curious, what was the brand of the waterpump that you replaced 3 times?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X