Crank Pulley (Powerbond Brand? ZZP?) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crank Pulley (Powerbond Brand? ZZP?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Pulley (Powerbond Brand? ZZP?)

Hey guys,

So I tried a couple of cheap pulleys from ebay (used) and when they arrived they were all clearly going to be just as wobbly as my current pulley. No auto parts stores or local dealers carry OEM replacements (but they do have LS1 ones).

http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/...=650&catid=111

Is this going to work for me in the 6 rib configuration? It's for a 99. Is powerbond a good product?
    sigpic

Re: Crank Pulley (Powerbond Brand? ZZP?)

Saw a few reviews on these on other sites. Decided to be the guinea pig for this. I'll let you guys know how I like it.
    sigpic

Comment

Keep us posted. Mine wobbles quite a bit and ive been looking for a decent replacment.
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Both you guys have wobbly crank pulleys?
        1995 Pontiac Firebird
        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Sure do.. Mine wobbles like it wants to fly off. The center bolt coming off the crank isnt wobbling tho just the edges of the pulley.

** Order was placed last night with priority shipping, hopefully I can get this installed before next weekend if ZZP gets it in the mail on monday.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that pulley should never wobble at all. Gotta remember its a counterweight for the crank as well, so if that thing does wobble, it'll shake the engine, and not the same way it would shake with the balance shaft missing.
            1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

It seems pretty common on our cars. All the used pulleys I tried have been either a bit better (but not great) or way worse than my factory bad one. So I've been playing musical pulleys. I can never find a used one with the rubber in good shape. I'm hoping this pulley is quality and balances things out.
              sigpic

Comment

Look on ebay , they have them for $90 shipped for balancers.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I saw some new ones on ebay, but they are the old style ones from doorman that the original 4th gen v6's had.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
                    Both you guys have wobbly crank pulleys?
                    It seems like it got worse after i took it of and put it back on the last time. It's so bad right now that when the pulley wobbles it makes the belt move on the WP pully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                      It seems like it got worse after i took it of and put it back on the last time. It's so bad right now that when the pulley wobbles it makes the belt move on the WP pully.
                      That is a problem, I would replace it with a new one, not a junkyard one, but new if possible.

My car is close to 175k, a d the balancer is SOLID on it. That belt doesn't even twitch when it's running. That's the way it should be. You can definitely end up with damage down the road if you have a belt that's not staying on route.
                      Last edited by Mogobs30th; 01-29-2011, 10:33 PM.
                      1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
                        Yeah, that pulley should never wobble at all. Gotta remember its a counterweight for the crank as well, so if that thing does wobble, it'll shake the engine, and not the same way it would shake with the balance shaft missing.

Also know that a different year balancer can throw off the timing , just like going from a 96' to a 97' balancer will have to be reprogramed.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Right. I'll have to do a CASE relearn. I was looking through a couple of the older threads about the balancer and realized that the Powerbond is of the older style. Is that really a good choice? Should I consider an ATI? I cant imagine my car warrents a $550 balancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                            Right. I'll have to do a CASE relearn. I was looking through a couple of the older threads about the balancer and realized that the Powerbond is of the older style. Is that really a good choice? Should I consider an ATI? I cant imagine my car warrents a $550 balancer.

If you had a 11-12 sec. Camaro then I would say go with ATI but for a DD a reg. balancer should do well.

Comment

So I got my powerbond pulley today. Going to install it tomorrow. I did not realise it was a double pulley though because their site doesn't show side shots. It has a second 6 groove set for a supercharger. Will this be a problem for me? I thought the s/c 3800 II's were balanced the same as ours so I imagine it should work fine.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X