engine knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine knocking

hey guys, just started my car up for a bit since i never drive it anymore, and i can hear a knock coming from the engine.

it really sounds like it is coming from the rear, and i can "feel" the knock in the shifter.

when i press the clutch in the knock noise seems way less but i can still feel it in the shifter.

the knock is not present until the engine warms up and the oil pressure drops (oil pressure is going a tiny bit lower than the halfway point between 60 psi and 0, and im also not getting 6-psi at 2000 prm like i used to)

any ideas other than internal engine knocking?

im still unsure if i should rebuild the 3.8 or drop a sbc in.

Re: engine knocking

get the car up on jacks and fire it up on the stands, see if you can see anything.

When I broke my exhaust pipe at the cat it came up and knocked on the floor...I was ****ting myself thinking I blew motor.

Just make sure it's not some suspension part hitting something, you shouldnt feel engine knock in the shifter...both times my motor went I never did...even when my piston came through block I just felt it in the pedal the instant it happened...and I drove about 150k with it knocking...what I did feel when I drove though is the engine bogged and felt powerless...probably because kr showed about 15* (which is maxed on hp tuners) at all times...I was running on about 3* timing lol

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

i loked under the car, and there is no signs of the exhaust hitting. i cant really hear the knocking noise outside the car, but it is extremely loud inside

Comment

The symptoms sound like rod knock to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool81z28 View Post
          The symptoms sound like rod knock to me.
          thats what im thinking, since it only does it once the engine warms up and the oil pressure starts to drop, and it gets louder the lower it goes..

i know nothing about rebuilding these engines.. how much would it cost me to fix it.. just thinking the crank needs polished/re ground, and the bearings replaced.. I would also want to hone the cylinders and get new rings

Comment

Other peop[le here can answer that better than me but I would think it needs to be torn down first to see exactly what machine work needs to be done.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago
            • SixShooter'00Camaro
              Revival
              by SixShooter'00Camaro
              Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X