Belt tensioner....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt tensioner....

One fo the stupder designs of the 3800 series II.

My car had a newer alternator, but I still had voltage issues, I assumed the belt snce I could push the tensioner down by hand which is a o no.

I had to pull the tensioner, which of course has coolan passeges, and the coolant passages can bes substituted if need be.

Re: Belt tensioner....

well, u can remove the tensioner from the heater passageway bracket. its held on by 2 bolts. it cost like 30-40 bucks at the parts store.

Comment

Voltage issues can also be contributed to bad grounds or corrosion on one of your main hot lines from the battery/alternator.

Comment

I remember when I did my tensioner was not fun.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

All connections and lines look good. I doubt grounds are bad, car is a southern car and in decent shape. I could push the tensioner down by hand, and it only jumped around on rpm changes.

I mean its an easy job, but just stupid I am ****ing with the cooling system. And of course those ****ty elbos, which btw is hilarous, that they are 3.8L only specific, but its an "off the shelf" part at auto parts stores. Its such a ****ty part that gets replaced so often, parts store attendants got tired of having to pull it off a shelf to give to a customer so they just mounted them on a rack.

Some pics btw...

Last edited by DAS BOOT; 10-16-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I had fun a week or so with that.

Comment

That's exactly how mine broke too.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I'm in the process of replacing this tensioner assembly.
                Funny how things sometimes fall into place. A couple weeks ago I notice my coolant level always low. I searched and searched for the leak and found nothing. I silently wish the car would just break so I could find the leak. This morning my wish was granted.
                For a few months I had been watching the serpentine belt dance on the edge of the tensioner. I keep saying to myself, I really should fix that but never did. Well this morning the belt blew off.
                So tonight I pull the tensioner off and discover the elbow under the intake had been leaking. Not enough to hit the ground but enough for the coolant to always be a little low and out of sight.
                So to the point of this long story, first of all, what a totally ****ed up design!! Second, those elbows and hoses really stay in without leaking by friction alone??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X