Some issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some issues

These are completely not related, but I didn't want to make more than one thread.
    - First, when i have my defroster on, only def. not just heater, not AC, but with defrost it smells like gas. BAD. wtf?
    - Second, a small ticking from the transmission (T-5) but it stops as soon as I touch the clutch pedal AT ALL...
    -- Possibly related, after a short throw install it pops out of 1st&5th gears sometimes.
    - Last, I just got all new brakes about a week ago, Rotors and pads, and they still squeal? Do I just need to get some brake grease?

Any help would be freakin' sweet....

Re: Some issues

1. That's weird, because that's electrical. Does your heater turn on too when you flip the defroster switch?

2. I think it's time for a new clutch.

3. SA

4. Did you put some anti-squeek grease? This weather is also making my brake squeek too, but my pads are still thick.

Comment

1) I was meaning it smells like gas when I have the defroster on, not when I have the heat/AC.
      2) I was hoping you wouldnt say that...
      3) Huh?
      4) No, thats what I was asking if I needed..

Comment

1. could be exhaust leak
        2. new clutch and master cyl.
        3.what shifter did you install?
        4. Did you break in the brakes?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have plenty of those...
          :(
          Hurst competition pro
          Got 250-300 miles on em.

Comment

1. Could be fuel pressure regulator. I had that go bad on a 3.4 and it smelled like gas in the cabin pretty good. Not sure how that would be related to the defroster though.

Comment

1. Defrost is blowing air up onto the windshield, so it sounds like either exhaust leak or like icehammer said and you have a bad regulator or something fuel related under the hood.

2. Time to do a clutch service. Peace of mind would be clutch kit, master and slave replacement and probably look at getting the flywheel back to specifications.

3. Make sure it isn't binding on anything. That's the most extreme angle on the shift, so something must be pushing on it (could be the lower shift boot). From what I recall the Hurst at least on the LS1 F-bodies had a different style lower shift boot. You might need to relieve some of the rubber on your stocker.

4. You need to bed in those brakes. Squeal should go away after that. Also, some sport compound pads will squeal until they get up to proper temp.

Comment

Bump? Gas smell is getting worse. Hoping it's related to my fuel gauge so it will go way when I replace the pump. I can hardly drive without the windows down for the smell. And the shifter is about the same. Anyone know how to access the shifter linkage?

Comment

Originally posted by IceHammer View Post
                  1. Could be fuel pressure regulator. I had that go bad on a 3.4 and it smelled like gas in the cabin pretty good. Not sure how that would be related to the defroster though.
                  I agree, check for a gas leak under the hood. I'd give that priority. (I hope you don't smoke in the car!) There's nothing else that I can think of under the dash that would make that smell, and the cabin air intake is right behind the hood, an easy place to suck up fumes the engine compartment.

The brakes might could use a little anti-squeal compound behind the pads. I use that oranish-pink stuff that sort of jells. Since your'e there you might as well put some high temp grease (you can use as brake caliper grease) on the caliper slide bolts (where they slide in the bushings). Don't forget to clean out the old grease real well, especially if you don't know if you are using the same kind of grease that was in there.

I also agree with the bedding of the brakes too, or that some pads just squeak a little. You might could try using some fine sandpaper on a small sanding block and sand off the gloss (if any) on the rotors.

Comment

I was having trouble with my transmission popping out of 2nd and reverse after I installed a new tranny mount. The new mount had the back end of the trans too low so that the shifter was hitting the back of the opening in the center console. A few spacers to raise the back end of the trans fixed that for me. Hopefully it's something as easy to fix for you too
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Hm. What kinda spacers did you use? And the smell is now just any time I'm driving... and it's not an exhaust leak because that's a different smell... this is straight gas. I'm guessing somewhere on/near the fuel pump, since it seems like it's focused near the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                        I'm guessing somewhere on/near the fuel pump, since it seems like it's focused near the rear.

It very well could be related to the fuel pump. I'd be worried that if the leak is bad, it could ignight. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? If so, perhaps the oring was damaged or something not tightened? Have you followed the fuel line from the rear to the front, and and returns back? What work have you done on it related to the fuel system?

Given the danger of fire, this may be a good one to have a shop look at. I've seen two vehicle fires (not the aftermath, which I've seen a handful of) and they seem to always progress from ignition to inferno in very little time.

Comment

I used a couple of washers until I could find a 1/2 thick flat piece of steel and just drilled a hole to match the bolt size. Also had to find a longer bolt because the one that came with the mount was just a hair too short after adding the steel shim..
                          aka FreedStyle
                          Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                          2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                            I used a couple of washers until I could find a 1/2 thick flat piece of steel and just drilled a hole to match the bolt size. Also had to find a longer bolt because the one that came with the mount was just a hair too short after adding the steel shim..
                            Definitely look into that.. I put in a poly mount about 2 months ago.

Originally posted by landj View Post
                            It very well could be related to the fuel pump. I'd be worried that if the leak is bad, it could ignight. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? If so, perhaps the oring was damaged or something not tightened? Have you followed the fuel line from the rear to the front, and and returns back? What work have you done on it related to the fuel system?
                            I replaced the fuel filter about 5k ago. But there's no gas smell under the car, or under the hood, so it almost has to be something with the pump... I haven't done anything with the fuel system. Just my gas gauge started messing up recently, and now the smell, it's too much to be coincidence.

Comment

On another note, are fuel pumps just $400? Or is there somewhere I could get a cheaper one of good quality..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X