Vid: Exhaust smoke - This might be stupid but... possible intake gasket failure? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vid: Exhaust smoke - This might be stupid but... possible intake gasket failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vid: Exhaust smoke - This might be stupid but... possible intake gasket failure?

I dont know if this much smoke / color is normal or not, and this was also during a cold start and its 30 degrees outside but I wanted to post this anyway because my car is losing the entire radiator full of antifreeze every week. There is no smell in the engine bay, compartment, no visable leaks..just disappearing coolant

Vid Below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EejySHF8Ax8
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Vid: Exhaust smoke - This might be stupid but... possible intake gasket failure?

It's kinda hard to tell if that's a black smoke or white, but since you said you have a disappearing coolant I'm going to assume that it's white.

Is this from a cold or warm start? Ofcourse the weather is very cold right now and you'll get a lot of smoke coming out weather your car has been sitting overnight or a few hours.

But, does the smoke disappear once you start running it?

I don't want to say head gasket yet, but have you changed your PCV and radiator cap?

Comment

Re: Vid: Exhaust smoke - This might be stupid but... possible intake gasket failure?

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
      It's kinda hard to tell if that's a black smoke or white, but since you said you have a disappearing coolant I'm going to assume that it's white.

Is this from a cold or warm start? Ofcourse the weather is very cold right now and you'll get a lot of smoke coming out weather your car has been sitting overnight or a few hours.

But, does the smoke disappear once you start running it?

I don't want to say head gasket yet, but have you changed your PCV and radiator cap?
      No. I can try those.
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Doesn't look like much more than condensation being 30 degrees outside. If it was burning coolant, you'd smell it, and the smoke wouldn't evaporate so quickly.
        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

If you're emptying the radiator once a week, you've got a serious leak somewhere. Since there's no sign of leakage from the cooling system to the outside or into the oil, then I'd start looking for a failed head gasket or cylinder heads with a cracks in the exhaust ports.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
            by ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
            1 week ago
          • RPDRed6
            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
            by RPDRed6
            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
            3 weeks ago
          • ssms5411
            No start problem
            by ssms5411
            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X