Why do my headlight motors keep doing this... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do my headlight motors keep doing this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do my headlight motors keep doing this...

I am using the new Cardone Select Headlight Motor as pictured here... http://www.jcwhitney.com/1987-2002-p...87-2002j1.jcwx
    They have a lifetime warranty and my driver side motor is on its second replacement motor within a period of about 6 months.

What is happening is this... The gear (from brent franker) is coming mis-aligned inside the housing. it has play and it slides off the spendle causing the arm that raises the actual headlight to also come mis-aligned and completely misses the buffer which stops the motor due to the resistance and causes it to go further and stop at a mis-aligned position, or worse perform a 360...

I had this exact problem with my last motor too thinking maybe I just installed the gear wrong but the gear went in right this time and I was sure of it...

Here's what I mean...

This is becoming very annoying replacing these things every 3 months. I'm ganna try and re-adjust it over the weekend but what is the remedy for this problem? I tried placing a buffer on the tab but it just stripped the gear shortly after...
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Why do my headlight motors keep doing this...

Never had a problem with this:

http://www.rodney*ickman.com/n113.html

Replace * with "d"

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Re: Why do my headlight motors keep doing this...

I figured out the problem. These new motors have a very very thin washer inside the housing that spaces the gear and spindle from the housing. However it is so thin that it allows loose play because there is enough open space between the spindle and housing to literally move the gear/spindle assembly INSIDE the housing up and down - which mis-aligns the arm because the arm is attached to the spindle and also mis-aligns the gear from the motor because it is allowed to move and eventually causes them to strip very prematurely. The remedy was a $0.08 thicker washer which doesn't allow play inside the assembly. It now stops where it's supposed to. Another advantage is it also slows the motor down slightly so its not constantly slamming shut which is probably hell on the gear.
      Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-22-2012, 08:19 PM.
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
        by ssms5411
        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
        1 week ago
      • RPDRed6
        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
        by RPDRed6
        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
        3 weeks ago
      • ssms5411
        No start problem
        by ssms5411
        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X