Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems

alright i have a problem my car has been having problems starting ive done a tune up changed everything and anything i can think of even the FPR because i could smell gas from the exhaust and still have problems starting. Im guessing the pump is going out. i hear it whined up but idk what else to do havent checked the psi yet. Whats the psi it averages? can i plz have some im put on what yall might think it is.

Thanks

Re: Starting problems

Have you changed your fuel filter? Is it during cold start that's hard to start or both hot and cold?

Comment

Originally posted by silverbird02 View Post
      alright i have a problem my car has been having problems starting ive done a tune up changed everything and anything i can think of even the FPR because i could smell gas from the exhaust and still have problems starting. Im guessing the pump is going out. i hear it whined up but idk what else to do havent checked the psi yet. Whats the psi it averages? can i plz have some im put on what yall might think it is.

Thanks
      Don't quote me for truth on this because I can't remember exactly but when my fuel pump died on me, the mechanic told me it required atleast 60 PSI (and I was only getting like 15)
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Average would be 44PSI at idle and 50-55PSI at Wot.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

alright cool ill have to buy the thing to measure the psi.Now if the psi reads normal where else should i look for? dont wanna waste money on buy things that isnt causing the problem. On another note is it normal for the battery to go dead overnight? it just started out of know where. the battery is about 6 months old and cant hold a charge but i tested it and it checks out good :bs: so im lost

Comment

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery. Will test alright but soon as theres a load on it , its bad.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

With the battery problem, you may have a short somewhere. Hook up a multimeter in series with one of the battery cables and see how much amperage is being drawn. If it's anything over a few milliamps, there is a short somewhere. Start pulling fuses to see which circuit has the short. Also pull the wiring to the alternator. If you have a bad diode in the regulator it will allow current to flow, draining the battery. When I had a car that did this, it was the alternator. It was pulling 1.2 amps, and would drain the battery overnight.

With the fuel pressure, you should get good pressure immediately when you put the key in the Run position. If it's cranking OK but doesn't start, you will probably see right away if you have a fuel pressure problem by either an initial lack of pressure, or the inability to maintain the pressure while cranking.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

ok well the bird has been holding its charge i had an aftermarket speakers and for some reason it dont come on now maybe the amp went out prob the amp was draining the battery which is weird because ive had it for 3 yrs and no problems but i guess it was old idk but it seems to fine now...well for now

as far the pressure i was looking for the gauge to check the psi and i could not find the dang thing! it started on the first crank this morning which hasnt done that in very long time but ill look for the gauge and keep checking up on it

Thanks for the input everybody yall are a big help!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X