No Start 96 Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Start 96 Camaro

I have a friend that has a 96, V-6 that has a nasty habit of just doing nothing when you hit the key. Then out of no where it will start and run like it never had a problem. We have checked the neutral safety switch, changed the ignition switch and run new ground and batt. cables. I am beginning to think it has something to do with the security system. Anyone have any ideas???

Re: No Start 96 Camaro

Is the security light on?
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

I will check with him. I think he said it was on a couple of times and other times it wasn't.
      we put a new battery in the key fob. The security alarm has gon off a couple of times with it just sitting outside the shop, with it never set.

Comment

Sounds like Vats.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

OK, I'm not an expert with these terms, so explain "VATS"
          Last edited by Adger Smith; 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Vehicle anti theft system.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks, figured it out. Bad wire from key switch. intermittent connection of the OHMs resistance circuit of the key. When it was open you could tilt the wheel up and it would close and work. The only way I see around this is to put a resistor in line that has the identical Ohms resistance as the key to keep the circuit complete.
              Thanks for the response. got us to thinking!!!

Comment

My vats went bad ended up buying a 00' steering column and bcm for $80 off ebay and installing it , works great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X