Car loses control for no reason???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car loses control for no reason???

It's a sunny 80 degree warm day and the ground was completely dry as we havent had rain in 3 days...I was making a right turn to take the onramp onto I-5 and after completing my turn I gave it moderate gas (not spirited of heavy, just normal) and as I did, the back end gets VERY querry and I start going sideways toward the shoulder for absolutely no real reason - TCS kicked in and I had to counter steer to get it straight again. After I straightened it out I give it a second or two to regain control and slowly apply the gas and the same thing happens again and Im going toward the shoulder and the car did this all the way till 45 MPH where afterward I was able to regain control...

Its the first time this has ever happened to me on dry pavement... what could have happened?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Car loses control for no reason???

Broken bolts or busted suspension pieces in the rear is my guess. You're in Seattle so I'm almost willing to bet something rusted out and broke.

Check your lower control arms to make sure they aren't bent/broken and the panhard bar isn't bent along with the swaybar.

Take pics of the rear end if you aren't sure of what I'm talking about.

Comment

Iirc he just recently moved over here, I don't think it'd have anything with the wa weather. My guess would be rear swaybar endlinks.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Originally posted by espey_16 View Post
        Iirc he just recently moved over here, I don't think it'd have anything with the wa weather. My guess would be rear swaybar endlinks.
        Check all the bushings including body bushings and sway bar,possible body weight shifting around?

-jimfire

Comment

my guess is you lost a sway bar bushing/broke the bar.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

This is probably a dumb question but could any of what was listed above be result of being hit on the passenger rear side of the vehicle? There was barely any physical damage to the body but I did feel a pretty heavy knock.
            1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

yes is can. even an offset bushing can cause these behaviors. i would suggest takeing the lower control arms out and the pan hard bar out and inspecting them. check the bushings and the arm it self. if you cant find anything check the torque arm as well.

Comment

Maybe someone stole your engine and replaced it with a V8 :rolleyes:

My guess would be sway or panhard bushings, as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X