Turn Signal & Reverse Lamps Out Simultaneously - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn Signal & Reverse Lamps Out Simultaneously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal & Reverse Lamps Out Simultaneously

This happened last night and suddenly I suppose but couldnt find a solution after performing a Search.

I replaced the flasher unit under the drivers right knee dash panel and without success that problem still exists. The hazard lamps do function both front and back.

I also notice both reverse lamps do not illuminate when the stick shift is thrown in reverse whether the car is running or not. I'm like c'mon TWO? I'll replace them two reverse lamps for peace of mind but I won't know til I find a way to troubleshoot these two problems that seem related and I'm stumped as what to do next.

Any guesses? This on a 1996 3.8L Camaro w/ 352K on odometer.

Search mentioned something related about an electrical relay, which one and where exactly?

Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Re: Turn Signal & Reverse Lamps Out Simultaneously

Turn signals and backup lights are on the same circuit, using the same fuse.

I disconnected the backup light switch as every time I would shift in reverse would blow the fuse and lose the turnsignals. Can't find the short in the system - but it's in the backup wiring.

Last edited by FirebirdGT; 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM.
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Thanks for the direction Robert, sure enough it was a 15 Amp fuse that burnt out. My fuse chart was missing which led to the confusion. A trip to the local junkyard netted me a fuse cover door with chart plus " bonus " fuses for the taking. Problem resolved! :cool:
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Well I spoke too soon. Today I passed my CT State Emissions Test and as the tech rolled the Camaro in reverse I noticed there were no back up lamps or turn signals again. So I'm gonna troubleshoot this thoroughly sometime this weekend weather permitting.

My new question: Would it hurt if I installed a 20 or 25 amp fuse in place of the 15 amp that's currently blown again? What merit do I get out of this until I get down and dirty with it?

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex View Post
          My new question: Would it hurt if I installed a 20 or 25 amp fuse in place of the 15 amp that's currently blown again? What merit do I get out of this until I get down and dirty with it?
          No problem if you want to burn-up the wiring - and the car.

Raven

Comment

Just an update. I went down and dirty with my 96 Camaro and its recurring problems..the Reverse Lamp Switch thats on top of these transmissions was faulty and causing the short and blowing the 15 amp fuse which also controls the Turn Signals.

Now I have turn signals and reverse lamps and a new clutch, master, slave & throwout bearing, flushed the trans with new end seals and differential fluid with the GM additive. Runs like a champ now. :)

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex View Post
              ..the Reverse Lamp Switch thats on top of these transmissions was faulty and causing the short and blowing the 15 amp fuse which also controls the Turn Signals.

:tup:

Would have been happy if that had fixed mine - that's why it's unplugged now.

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X