New Engine Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Engine Review

The whine is the dreaded GM power steering pump. Probably needs replacement, guess it's got plenty of fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
      That dreaded knocking noise is coming back ever so slightly, so I hope it goes away after while.
      The knock noise is coming back? In the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
        The whine is the dreaded GM power steering pump. Probably needs replacement, guess it's got plenty of fluid?
        Yes I assume they filled it up because they replaced my rack and pinion too.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
          The knock noise is coming back? In the engine?
          The more I listen the more I think its the exhaust that needs to be addressed. I have a P0420 so i need to replace my cat. I hear a slight exhaust leak. If it is coming back, obviously GM will have to fix it, but I thought I heard it faintly, but I could just be hearing the exhaust, so I am going to knock that out. Other than that, all I hear is my CAI and that damn power steering pump haha

Comment

I was also out last night, put about 130 miles on the car on the highway @ 85-115 MPH steady as she goes, it was late with no cops, so I figured I'd break it in a bit. It allowed the engine to be ran at about 2900 RPM- 3300 RPM consistently. Its loosening up nicely now, still not completely loose, but it is coming along.

Comment

you know you can do that just by putting it in 3rd gear without having to worry about cops right?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                you know you can do that just by putting it in 3rd gear without having to worry about cops right?
                Yeah but I had someplace to be and it wouldnt be as big a load on the engine at 65-75 MPH as it is at 100-110ish MPH.

Comment

I was also out last night, put about 130 miles on the car on the highway @ 85-115 MPH steady as she goes, it was late with no cops, so I figured I'd break it in a bit. It allowed the engine to be ran at about 2900 RPM- 3300 RPM consistently. Its loosening up nicely now, still not completely loose, but it is coming along.
                  I'm just going to come right out and say it...

Driving at that speed on public roads is stupid. There is no excuse.

Do you think that everyone with a brand new car or a brand new engine has to do that? If you do, you're wrong.

You don't need to do anything. Just drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
                    I'm just going to come right out and say it...

Driving at that speed on public roads is stupid. There is no excuse.

Do you think that everyone with a brand new car or a brand new engine has to do that? If you do, you're wrong.

You don't need to do anything. Just drive it.
                    sure, its not necessary but its fun, speed up the process:) Truth be told the speed limit was 80 anyway and the road was basically straight and vacant.

Comment

Not to sound like a **** or anything but it is very fun and even though its a v6 its still a sports car... if it was just to be driven and not let open every now and then wouldn't you want something... slower, cheaper and more reliable? Like a family sedan.. idk to each his own I suppose :0

Comment

Originally posted by SlasherVRGR View Post
                        Not to sound like a **** or anything but it is very fun and even though its a v6 its still a sports car... if it was just to be driven and not let open every now and then wouldn't you want something... slower, cheaper and more reliable? Like a family sedan.. idk to each his own I suppose :0
                        Agreed. Although, I am way easier on this car than I am my BMW 550i lol I dont beat this car as often because something always breaks, but in all fairness, it is probably due to the lack of care from previous owners. I have only had it for 10 months so I am slowly getting it right.

It is getting more fun to drive!

Comment

1. 85 to 115 mph? On a public road? Gotta ask why.........impatience perhaps? This engine is well on its way to being trashed, just like the one you pulled out. That or you'll just wad the car up.

2. Loose and tight.....WTF does that mean anyway?
                          1995 Pontiac Firebird
                          2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
                            1. 85 to 115 mph? On a public road? Gotta ask why.........impatience perhaps? This engine is well on its way to being trashed, just like the one you pulled out. That or you'll just wad the car up.

2. Loose and tight.....WTF does that mean anyway?
                            Yeah I was trying to get somewhere, and no the tech said I could DRIVE it. He said it would manifest any issues. He bet me that I couldnt break it. Now I am not beating it like I do my 550i but I am driving it past normal to make sure its good.

Loose and tight is hard to explain. If you drive a car when its brand new vs when it has 50,000-60,000 miles on it, its more loose than it was after those miles. Its hard to explain.

Comment

If you drive a car when its brand new vs when it has 50,000-60,000 miles on it, its more loose
                              Yes, a brand new car is probably smoother than a 60k mile car. That isn't a good thing that you want your car to feel like its a 60k mile car vs new

Comment

No no not smoother. The engine gets smoother as it gets ran longer. I wish you could just drive it, instead of explaining lol its hard to explain. Sometimes Motor Trend does long term tests and about 95% of cars they test post better acceleration numbers after 40k vs brand new.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                  1 week ago
                                • RPDRed6
                                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                  by RPDRed6
                                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  No start problem
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X