Bought a '95 Firebird 3.4 after three years of having one - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a '95 Firebird 3.4 after three years of having one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a '95 Firebird 3.4 after three years of having one

So this weekend I bought a 1995 Firebird 3.4 V6 automatic. Last time I owned a V6 was three years ago. I bought this for a crazy project down the road, but none the less back to a few questions.

Anyone have access to a factory service manual for the 1995 3.4?

I've liked and been into Firebirds for almost 10 years and have never seen this before. On the center console is a button that says "2nd Gear Start" any insight on that? I know what it means..starting the transmission in 2nd gear, but why and is this a rare option?

I have a rear end from a '98 Trans Am with disc brakes, and would like to put this in this '95 Firebird to convert from drum brakes. What all would I need to swap over?

Re: Bought a '95 Firebird 3.4 after three years of having one

Almost if not all V6 Auto f-bodies came with SGS. It just starts the tranny in 2nd gear to help with traction if the weather is bad i.e rain or snow. It really isn't that useful... It's supposed to help with traction; nothing rare about it!

Do some searches on drum to disk swaps. There is a good stickied thread on it.
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

So is this a V6 only thing? My '98 V8 Trans Am automatic didn't have it, and like I said in all these years I've never seen the SGS thing before. So it threw me for a loop.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997Canadian3.8 View Post
        Almost if not all V6 Auto f-bodies came with SGS. It just starts the tranny in 2nd gear to help with traction if the weather is bad i.e rain or snow. It really isn't that useful... It's supposed to help with traction; nothing rare about it!

Yeah, my 4th gen has that too. I never used it.

Comment

its a v6 only option (and utterly useless at that)

. auto lt1 cars had a trans perform button in the same place that firmed up the shifts and slightly raised shift points. 6 speed cars had a button for traction control. it didnt carry over to 98-02. they moved the asr to the dash and a4 cars never had the option.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

I believe the V6 cars have the SGS because traction control isnt available on the V6 models. Could be wrong but I think thats the reason.

Comment

Almost if not all V6 Auto f-bodies came with SGS.
              Umm.... I don't have that on my 95 3.4 Automatic Convertible, so, it's not "all". Wish I did, gotta love the low end torque, but ice traction is zilch.

Where is the button? Is there a way to add this as a modification? Is it built into all the OBDI computers? Is there a wire I should look for?

I'm kinda excited about this one, since if it's in almost all the 95 3.4 camaros, than surely there's got to be a wire just dangling loose!

Comment

mine has it, but I've seen more without than with. doesn't even show it as being an option until 96+

Comment

Mine has it and it does help some in the snow. I've used it several times to gain better traction when the wheels were spinning on slushy snow.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
                    Umm.... I don't have that on my 95 3.4 Automatic Convertible, so, it's not "all". Wish I did, gotta love the low end torque, but ice traction is zilch.

Where is the button? Is there a way to add this as a modification? Is it built into all the OBDI computers? Is there a wire I should look for?

I'm kinda excited about this one, since if it's in almost all the 95 3.4 camaros, than surely there's got to be a wire just dangling loose!
                    it sits in the little panel right in front of the center console. id imagine if you pulled the console out you can find the wires down there for it hidden away. wouldnt be the first time GM wired something and did install it on a fbody for optioning reasons

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

Yeah between the automatic shifter and the cup holder in front of the center console lid. I'll try to get a picture.

So does anyone have the service manual for a 1995?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X