Security Light - Forever ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Light - Forever ON

For awhile last year, the VATS would not let me fire up the engine and I would be turning the ignition key tumbler all the way to START and you hear nothing at all except the normal chime. Happened sporadically.

This year proves different. The Security Light is always on and I can start ( fire up ) the motor right up with no problem. Around June the VATS does a 180 and allows me a free pass for now lol.

So my questions are: What is going on and is this a fluke?

Is the tumbler defective? I'm not sure what else to look for but it seems great for now I can turn my ignition on without worry while the Security light is permanently on.
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Replace the key cylinder man. There are 2 white wires that read the resistance of your key to see if its the right key to pass security. One is most likely broken off.

I had the same problem but did not pay attention to it. Untill I thought it would not let me turn my car on. Replaced it and the light went away.

The part cost around 50 bucks and you could rent the tools to do it for around 50 bucks also. Just follow the stearing colum removal write up on here some where around here

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Re: Security Light - Forever ON

Good info, i have the key cylinder on order now. Next would be a puller of some sort as you explained. Any particular links would be useful as I am out of state and the Camaro is at an airport. Thanks!
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

You will need a steering wheel puller, t-27 or t-30 bit socket. Small t-??(I don't know the size for this one) screw driver. Lock spring compressor I belive its called and Philips screw driver, flat head. I think that's about it oh and a 21 mm socket.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
          Good to see the site is back up
          by 2.8 Bird
          So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
          3 days ago
        • FirebirdGT
          New Site Hosting Issues
          by FirebirdGT
          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
          2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X