Engine Mounts - Locations and loosening to get a little play - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Mounts - Locations and loosening to get a little play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Mounts - Locations and loosening to get a little play

So I'm trying to get my trans back in and if I had a little play in the engine to tilt/drop it down, maybe a half inch to an inch I feel I could get it lined and bolt the trans back in (its hitting the top of the tunnel when I jack the trans up). From the solutions to this I've read of loosening the engine mounts appeals to me most. I found a mount on either side of the engine going to the body, and think there is one attaching to the k-member (though I haven't actually looked for it). If I loosen the bolts to in the grommet on the side mounts, will that get it loose enough or will I have to completely disconnect the mount and then eventually line the engine back up to put it back? Don't want to undo something and have it be a pain to get back, never loosened an engine. I'm guessing I want a jack with a board under the k and or oil pan?.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: Engine Mounts - Locations and loosening to get a little play

If anything I'd try the bolts that hold the clamshells to the frame. Should be 3 I think 13(?)mm bolts. But I've never done that to get my trans in or out..

Comment

Re: Engine Mounts - Locations and loosening to get a little play

Mounts should be on the K-Member, not the body. If you have access to a houst, you could pull the mounting bolts on the block and lift/tilt the engine to bolt the tranny back up.
      aka FreedStyle
      Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
      2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
        Good to see the site is back up
        by 2.8 Bird
        So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
        3 days ago
      • FirebirdGT
        New Site Hosting Issues
        by FirebirdGT
        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
        2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X