Help figuring out which gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help figuring out which gasket?

Popped the hood open today and saw a puddle of coolant by the intake manifold and the valve covers. I'm assuming its the intake manifold Plenum gasket???

Where the little coolant puddle was at...

Re: Help figuring out which gasket?

I can't really see the lower part of the lower intake but your thermo gasket housing is discolored and it might be leaking there.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The plenum gasket doesn't have fluid through it if I remember right... if it's the intake, it'd be the lower intake gaskets.

Comment

Plenum gasket does have coolant go through it. Goes up through to the TB and back down.

Just get both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and be done with it. You'll want the metal problem solver gaskets for the bottom and use a good bit of silicone on the corners where it meets the intake valley.

Comment

I started fingering under the thermo housing and a little piece of the gasket itself fell off....

How hard is it to replace LIM and UIM?? Is there a write up flowing around?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed2011 View Post
            I started fingering under the thermo housing and a little piece of the gasket itself fell off....

How hard is it to replace LIM and UIM?? Is there a write up flowing around?
            Thats why I pointed out the thermo housing, it looks like its leaking there. I would do the thermo gasket and see how it goes from there. It might of just ran back onto the LIM. Looking at the pic it looks like it ran back, you can see the Dexcool markings. Just change that out and keep a eye on your coolant to see if you have any other leaks. But doing the UIM and LIM isn't too hard just taking off the belt tensionor, alt., fuel rail, upper intake W/TB, LIM., you can get the metal coolant elbow connector for the tensionor and LIM(which is new alm. and not plastic) and get the new ALM. LIM gasket set, get some RTV for the LIM and get a upper gasket, thats about it. A 93-02 Haynes manual comes in handy also.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 02-22-2014, 07:09 PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
              Plenum gasket does have coolant go through it. Goes up through to the TB and back down.

Just get both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and be done with it. You'll want the metal problem solver gaskets for the bottom and use a good bit of silicone on the corners where it meets the intake valley.
              Oh yeah huh... that's why you get O-rings in a gasket set. Dur. Been too long since I've messed with mine, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                Oh yeah huh... that's why you get O-rings in a gasket set. Dur. Been too long since I've messed with mine, I guess.
                Not having to mess with it too often can be a good thing ;) Just means that it's all working properly and not leaking. That, or your engine is overdue for a few mods... :burn:
                aka FreedStyle
                Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                  Not having to mess with it too often can be a good thing ;) Just means that it's all working properly and not leaking. That, or your engine is overdue for a few mods... :burn:
                  lol, my engine has 8k miles on it. I should hope it's doing alright! I get things mixed up since I work on cars for 50ish hours a week, not including side work...

Comment

40K now on mine. Valve cover gaskets leak a little, but that's because I am running an adapter to make room for my rockers...

Comment

The necessity of replacing upper and lower intake manifold gaskets is very, very common on this engine. I would make sure that at the same time you flush the radiator completely. there is an updated set of gaskets that are superior to the OEM gaskets. I had this work done a month ago. Ignored, this will help you throw a rod and they you are dead meat.
                      Phil

Comment

Before I go MAN shopping, is there anything else I should replace?? Ill be doing LIM and UIM

My car is 180k miles old, first time the engine will be taken apart besides "normal" maintenance

Comment

When you replace the thermo gasket, I would see if that fixes your problem. No reason to replace good gaskets. But if you do , the ones I posted earlier will do. ZZperfomance should have the alm. coolant elbow, will have 2 elbows ,you'll just use the one. They will have the alm. LIM gaskets. Any of the auto part stores should have the UIM gasket and RTV for the LIM.

Comment

sorry to say but my car did the exact same thing and it was the LIM, if your problem is the same as mine sooner or later the whole front of the LIM gaskets will give out and will dump coolant out at least that's what mine did.But go with the zzp LIM gaskets because i did the parts store ones and i just tore apart my engine this week and the two year old parts store LIM gaskets were already breaking apart.

Comment

I already my LIM is out, i see oil sludge whenever i pull the radiator cap off. Recently replaced the elbows below the throttle body but ill swap out to metal ones

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                                Good to see the site is back up
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                                7 hours ago
                              • FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X