Jet Chips Gains vs Hypertech (Timing Advance Only - Not Counting Extra Features) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jet Chips Gains vs Hypertech (Timing Advance Only - Not Counting Extra Features)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Chips Gains vs Hypertech (Timing Advance Only - Not Counting Extra Features)

I am interested is getting a chip to speed my car up, but I'm wondering if its worth the extra 100 bucks for the Hypertech.

I have a Cold Air Intake and Whisper Lid, as well as a 2.75 inch catback going into a Dynomax Super Turbo, so all the intake and exhaust mods should be covered. Other than that, my car is pretty much stock.

I know that Hypertech has extra features, (like Top Speed Limiter Remover, Red Line adjuster, etc) but the only thing I am looking for is the timing advance to make my car faster.

I know these chips adjust shift points on automatics, but I have a manual, so again, that doesn't apply to me.

So when comparing the increase in speed due to the timing only, are these chips going to make a noticeable difference on my car? If so which chip is the better purchase considering I don't care about the extra features?
    2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

I have a 98 Camaro so hypertech doesn't make a programmer for my car. I have found that the stage II Jet Chip really worked wonders on my car. They recommend a hypertech 160 thermostat though. Only like $20 and it made the engine a lot cooler. According to Jet Chip they put a camaro with upgraded exhaust and intake on a dyno and adjusted the fuel map and timing curves so that HP was maxed at every RPM level. I don't know much about the Hypertech Programmer so I can't really comment much on that. I do love the Jet Chip though.
    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Jet Chip only adjusted the timing at WOT. True?
      <b>Cheers!</b><br />Scott<br />1994 Camaro 3.4L V6<br />Flows, Underdrive Pulley, and a 180 Thermo

Comment

To be honest, when I had the Jet Chip II, I could'nt tell a difference with the chip on or off. Hopefully when I get around to installing my HPP3 it will be worth the extra cash.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

I have a JET chip and I can tell the difference night and day. I think there was an article in a HOTROD mag about JET chip. They tested an IMPALA SS and dynoed without JET result was around 218 rwhp, then when they installed the JET it dynoed 230 rwhp.
          <i>00\' NBM Firebird~T-5<br />60\': <b>2.29 sec.</b><br />1/4: <b>14.7 @ 95.5 MPH<br />Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me.</b></i>

Comment

According to the Jet Chip website a 3.8L Camaro can expect a 15-17 rwhp increase if the exhaust and intake are upgraded. But who knows...companies lie all the time about sh*t like that.
            <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Yep, febuary 03 shows 212HP @ 5k and an increase to 230HP @ 5k after the chip. On paper it looks pretty good. For a 18 HP increase at the wheels I'd go for it if I had a 3.8
              David
              1995 Nissan Hardbody King cab XE, 5-speed, 4 banger<p>Looking for the right Camaro...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sac2165:
                To be honest, when I had the Jet Chip II, I could'nt tell a difference with the chip on or off. Hopefully when I get around to installing my HPP3 it will be worth the extra cash.<hr></blockquote>

Same here (with the JET, i didnt feel anything but my car stalling...)
                dave

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X