No announcement yet.

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is pretty safe to say the coolant system is fine.. It seems to be working normally. Any of the passkey 3 systems i have ever worked on worked as follows: You turn the key into the on position, you passkey module looks for the right resistance or code, and gives the pcm the fuel enable signal it is looking for. If there is a key problem of any kind the car will start, run til the fuel rail is empty and die, then will not restart due to no fuel because the pcm has no fuel enable signal, and pump does not therefor turn on. So the keys aren't the issue..

Is the engine always at operating temp (210) before it starts stalling? Find you fuel pressure regulator..It will be ON you fuel rail before your return line to the tank.. there will be a vaccuum line hooked to it...pull the vaccuum line off and tap the side of it lightly with the back of a screwdriver or something...If fuel squirts out or if it is all wet when you pull the vaccuum line off...then the diaphram is bad and it needs replacing. That would effect fuel pressure and could possibly be causing your issue..but you do need to hook a pressure gauge up the the valve on the fuel rail and check fuel pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmtech1005:
      I think it is pretty safe to say the coolant system is fine.. It seems to be working normally. Any of the passkey 3 systems i have ever worked on worked as follows: You turn the key into the on position, you passkey module looks for the right resistance or code, and gives the pcm the fuel enable signal it is looking for. If there is a key problem of any kind the car will start, run til the fuel rail is empty and die, then will not restart due to no fuel because the pcm has no fuel enable signal, and pump does not therefor turn on. So the keys aren't the issue..

Is the engine always at operating temp (210) before it starts stalling? Find you fuel pressure regulator..It will be ON you fuel rail before your return line to the tank.. there will be a vaccuum line hooked to it...pull the vaccuum line off and tap the side of it lightly with the back of a screwdriver or something...If fuel squirts out or if it is all wet when you pull the vaccuum line off...then the diaphram is bad and it needs replacing. That would effect fuel pressure and could possibly be causing your issue..but you do need to hook a pressure gauge up the the valve on the fuel rail and check fuel pressure.
      Yes, it always stalls out when it is 210 I believe. Maybe once or twice out of the 20+ times it has happened, it wasn't 210. That is why I thought it may have been a coolant problem.

I tried taking that hose off and it wouldn't come off. Maybe I was pulling the wrong one? I am just about ready to sell the car if I can't get this fixed soon. I have been trying since march :(
      SOLD - 1999 Black Firebird<br />A4, T-tops, 3.42 gears, Y87 Package<br />[Appearance mods] Chrome side vents, Pontiac metallic silver rear inlay<br />[Performance mods] TSP Rumbler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/eminemz115\" target=\"_blank\">PICS</a>

Comment

Don't give up and sell it yet we have only had out teeth in this problem for a few days we will get it worked out for you. Have you hooked a fuel pressues gauge up yet?
        Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

Originally posted by vampyr:
          Don't give up and sell it yet we have only had out teeth in this problem for a few days we will get it worked out for you. Have you hooked a fuel pressues gauge up yet?
          Will be buying one today. What should it cost me? Do I hook it up to the hose that has the little green cap on it that say hand tighten only?
          SOLD - 1999 Black Firebird<br />A4, T-tops, 3.42 gears, Y87 Package<br />[Appearance mods] Chrome side vents, Pontiac metallic silver rear inlay<br />[Performance mods] TSP Rumbler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/eminemz115\" target=\"_blank\">PICS</a>

Comment

I think that mine cost me like $20.00 and it hooks up to the schrader(sp) port on your fuel rail.
            Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

Originally posted by vampyr:
              I think that mine cost me like $20.00 and it hooks up to the schrader(sp) port on your fuel rail.
              Pep Boys, AKA ricer central, does not carry a fuel pressure gauge that our cars require. He told me to try somewhere else. So looks like I will try going to Advanced Auto Parts tomorrow and seeing what they have.

Comment

You line with the green cap on it is your evap tap...don't play with that..look at your fuel rail...follow your fuel lines to the rail...it will have fuel injectors sticking out of it..there will be a little port...kinda like the one with the green cap...but this cap will be black and on the rail itself...take off the black cap...hook up the gauge, and strat the car...let us know your readings

Comment

Went to advanced auto parts today and they didn't have one either...they had one that told me lean or rich...arghhhhh Where can I get one?!?

Comment

sears maybe, snap-on, mac, matco. Ever scan your computer for fail codes?

Comment

Originally posted by Gmtech1005:
                      sears maybe, snap-on, mac, matco. Ever scan your computer for fail codes?
                      Yea, my friends dad works for snap on so he has all the scanners and stuff. We ran it before and even had it on when the car stalled and no codes showed. I am actually going to try driving it to his house tonight to try again. Hopefully it can tell me fuel pressure. Any other pertinant information I need to know?

Comment

Well his scanner had no codes...all O2 sensors were moving from lean to rich which he said ment they were working fine. Temperature reached 225 and the fans came on. No matter how much we revved it, it wouldn't get any higher. Therefore the gauge on my dashboard must be stuck because it doesn't pass 210.

He basically said to buy starter fluid. Spray it into the TB the next time it stalls and won't start right up again. If it starts up right away after doing that - means it is a fuel problem. If it still won't start up after the spray, then it is an electrical problem... So I am buying the spray tomorrow and actually for once hoping it will stall... Anyone ever heard of this method?

Comment

Most likely a fuel problem, check electrical though, alternator okay? any lose wires?

Comment

What does your voltage gauge say when the car is started?

Comment

Originally posted by BadAzzRS:
                              What does your voltage gauge say when the car is started?
                              Between the middle and 3/4's

Comment

Well, the scanner won't tell ya fuel pressure, but you snap on friend should have a pressure gauge. Look for any stored dtc's (diagnostic trouble codes) in present or history. Also get the car nice and warm, and tap on the side of the pcm...not too hard...and see if it stalls.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                  1 week ago
                                • RPDRed6
                                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                  by RPDRed6
                                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  No start problem
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X