3.4 idle prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 idle prob

It's pretty weird, the car runs smoothly even when im driving around at different speeds. But if I stop and let the car idle for like 2-3 minutes it sets a light(ses) and runs a little rich, it goes away thought if I rev the engine up to 2k rpms then let it fall back down to normal idle the light clears immediately, WTF? It comes back when it's on idle for that long and goes away every time I do this. Any suggestions would help please. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 07, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: pontiac nino ]
    ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

i cant believe i even have to say something to you. go to autozone and scan that thing [img]smile.gif[/img]

if you like, i can shoot the problem by my auto teacher and see what he says but that wont be until monday :\

[ December 03, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: BLLDOGG ]
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Hehe :D , I have obd1 with a 16 pin connection, Autozone won't scan it if it requires the car to be turned on, they don't have the good type of equipment.
      Couple of months back I took it to a an auto electrician, I was told it was a fautlty O2 sensor, I bought 2 last night and still the same prob.

Here's a list of everything that is NEW o2's, coils, wires, TPS, Thermostat, Temp. sensor and control module(ecm), EGR. TB has been cleaned now even the IAC housing, im thinking it could be the IAC but I don't wanna waste more cash and be wrong again.
      It's weird i've never heard of anyone having a problem like this.
      BLLDOGG typed more than one sentece? :eek: j/k
      Thanks

Comment

you could just jump pins a&b on the diag connector and count the flashes of the check engine light to see what the code is and go from there...why did you have an auto electrician look at it...that's like having an optometrist look at your teeth...why did he say you needed an o2 sensor
        2005 Magnum

Comment

The a&b connector thing that you speak of would be really cool, but it only works on the obd1 systems that have a 12 pin connection, the 16 pin was for obd2 so my car is a little more difficult to check, im kinda screwed there. :(
          The reason I took it to an auto electrician is because, their main focus is on electrical car stuff like sensors, engine harnesses, circuitry shorts, etc. and could give me better input than someone who just builds up engines for a living. Only other people who can have the equipment to diagnose stuff like this would be the dealership which im afraid im gonna have to go.

Comment

your system is early obd2, some gm vehicles had obd2 as early as 93, it can be scanned with obd2 software, I do it on a daily basis, go to a GOOD independant shop and have them look at it for you, there is nothing special that the dealer can do that a good shop can't. To bad you don't live here. What codes did you get the last time the car was checked??
            2005 Magnum

Comment

95 3.8 - OBD2
              95 3.4 - OBD1 :(

Comment

look at pin #2 in your diag connector, if it has a wire in the cavity it can be grounded and the mil will flash trouble codes with the key on and the engine off, if it doesn't have a wire in the cavity then it needs a scanner to retreive the codes...any obd2 scanner will work but it requires more than a monkey at @#%$zone to do it, you never did mention what the original trouble code was
                2005 Magnum

Comment

Sorry I don't remember the code, just that it had to do with the drivers side O2 bank not responding.
                  I think I might have fixed it thought. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  I took off the IAC today and noticed that the pintle was dirty as a mofo, so I took out the carb cleaner and cleaned it very well to the point that you can see it shine again, while I did that I took a peak inside the pintle housing and it look way worse than a dirty egr. I put it back on and it seems to idle a bit smoother now and so far it hasn't thrown a code. :D
                  Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X