Replacing Airbag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Airbag

I'm in the process of putting a 97 firebird interior in my 94 camaro. Everything is going great, however, I the car I took the dash from, the firebird, had the airbags deploy. I have my fresh, undeployed cannister from my camaro and I know I can put that in the firebird dash, the only thing is, how is the panel that covers the airbag opening held down? For kicks, i tried ripping the camaro airbag cover off and it was like glued on there with freakin' cement, it was never gonna come off. Does this actually break loose when the airbags go off? If thats the case, i'll just use some heavy glue to keep it in place. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated.

;) ~Tom
    1994 Camaro: Firebird Interior, 3.4L to 3800 converted, OBD2 converted, A4 to M5 converted...In the turbo retirement home...<br /><br />1994 Mustang GT: 347 Forged Stroker, Port Matched Edelbrock Heads and Intakes, Tremec 3550 T-5, Spec Stage 2

moving to general tech.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

The "cover" usually comes as part of the airbag assembly. I've never replaced a passenger side airbag in a Fbody, but from my experience, the passenger airbags usually come with the covers attached.
      -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

so if you take out the air bags what do you use to cover the hole?
        Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

For the driver's side you get another steering wheel (without an airbag). For the passenger side, I don't know.
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

The airbag 'panel' on the passenger side I think is actually part of the dash. The force of the airbag going off breaks that panel loose around the outline of the panel on the front and sides while staying hinged in the back. I would just do like you mentioned and use some strong glue to hold it back down. (like that Epoxy stuff you mix with the hardener). Maybe only use enough glue just to keep it held down, like in a few spots or the corners for example.
            2006 Tiburon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
              Good to see the site is back up
              by 2.8 Bird
              So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
              3 days ago
            • FirebirdGT
              New Site Hosting Issues
              by FirebirdGT
              All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
              2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X