No oil pressure at Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No oil pressure at Idle

Hello all. I've searched this site and others extensively and havn't gotten a good answer yet.

I recently bought a used 2000 v6 3800 5 speed firebird. After doing normal tuneup stuff to it (change oil, plugs, wires, filters, pcv) It ran quite a bit better, but then I noticed I was getting no oil pressure at idle. I bought a mechanical gauge to make sure it wasn't the stock gauge or sender, and it reads the same.

I was going to replace the oil pressure regulator valve and spring, but the dealer only had a spring in stock, so I took the oil filter adapter apart and replaced the spring. The valve was stuck where it was, I had to hammer it in a little to unstick it, then it just popped out. When I put it back together the valve was sliding freely. Started the car up and it said 16'ish psi at idle. I wasn't sure what the reccomended psi is so I figured better than zero. I took it to get some gas and when I started it back up after getting gas it read 0 again. If I touch the gas it'll jump to about 20, and rev it harder it'll get up to about 30. But from what I've read, even that's still too low. (heard 60psi a few places)

I took it home and havn't really messed with it since.

Anyway, I ordered the oil pump gearset from the dealer and have it now, but I hear those rarely go out and I would hate to do all that work and still not have fixed it. I heard it could be the oil pick-up tube/screen being clogged. Seems possible. But once again I don't know for sure and that's alot of work to get the oil pan off to check on a possibility.

I need some help guys. Anyone have this specifically happen to them? I just want to know exactly what the problem is so I can go and fix that, instead of doing one thing after an other until it's fixed.

Thanks in advance.

[ August 20, 2004, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: troyf4i ]

I get pretty close to 60 psi....so thats way to low. Good luck.
    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Don't know what the problem might be...

At idle I get over 60psi cold... hot it's a little under 60 psi.

When driving it's over 60 psi.

Comment

i would rplace the vavle before you do anything else.

20-30 is ok for idle but at 1800 RPM its should jump to 60 or higher
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Thanks for the replies. No one else has any ideas? The valve I ordered should be in tomorrow or the next day, and then I'll change that, the gearset for the pump, and the timing chain while I'm in there. See if that works. If not, I'll take the oil pan off next time I get access to a crane, and see if the pickup is blocked.

Comment

Well, I've got the front of the engine apart finally, big moment comes to open up the oil pump gearset cover and see if that was my problem, and... nope, looks perfectly fine, maybe more scratches on the top and bottom and some strange rippling effect on the edges, but the teeth are perfect still. Also there was some metal dust in the oil surrounding it. Well, next up is the oil pan. Built a makeshift engine hoist for it, will get it off tomorrow if everything goes smoothly. I hope against hopes it's just something wrong with the oil pickup tube, something obvious and easy to fix.

I'll let you know how it goes.

edit: oh, the valve was still free floating when I took it apart again, so I guess that wasn't it. But, I'll put the new one in anyways of course. Also changed the timing chain and gears while I was in there, and plan on ordering a new water pump tomorrow morning since mine's looking old.

Comment

Yeah it didn't solve the problem. After putting it all back together, started it up at 20 psi idle. Waited 30 seconds, 15psi, 30 more seconds, 10 psi, revved it a few times, dropped down to 5 and then 0. I took the timing chain cover (which holds the pump gearset) into a pontiac dealership, the mechanic said definately replace it, that it might not be a problem now, but it would eventually. Well I hoped that eventually would be a long day off and put it all back together anyways. (they didn't have a new one in stock, and it was 290 dollars.)

Well, I guess I'll have to order it on tuesday anyways.

Also, there was quite a bit of metal shavings in the oil pan, and in the screen. I know that indicates a serious problem, but I can't afford having a mechanic check that out, find out the problem and fixing it right now. Figure at best the engine will last till I can find a decent ls1 transplant, at worst it'll go soon and I'll have to get an other 3800 transplant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X