2002 Firebird Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Firebird Mods?

A friend of mine has an '02 Firebird V6...

She really want to mod it and wants to know what mods would be good if shes on a budget?

heres what she said when i asked her how fast she wanted to be:

I don't know... just want to be able to be confident about goin and racin people, I want to feel the power... maybe like 13's or somethin
    ?

Any ideas about mods will help, thanks
    West Coast 6\'s - <a href=\"http://www.WestCoast6s.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.WestCoast6s.com</a>

pretty serious business to get the 02 v6 bird down to 13 sec. I think that pretty much has to be a whole new race built engine or a well tuned FI setup with fat exhaust, low gears, etc.
    01 Firebird A4 3.42
    Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
    and other mods
    Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

how about low 14s [img]smile.gif[/img]
      West Coast 6\'s - <a href=\"http://www.WestCoast6s.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.WestCoast6s.com</a>

Comment

what are some good mods to start out with?

Also Cam vs Rockers... which is better for this car?

Comment

if it is a daily driver i would go with rockers purely to save on mileage. Also if she ever thinks she would go FI then she should stay away from cams till she gets that in since they are different then NA cams. good starter mods include intake, exhaust, and valvetrain. Then move on to Gears and Differential. Next port and polish the heads and upper and lower intake manifolds. Finally decide on nitrous, turbo, supercharger, or stroker/NA and then put the correct cam in. Dont forget though as you add power you also need to upgrade suspension and stiffen the chasi. If she gets serious she should start removing weight from the front end in the form of battery relocation, tubular upper and lower A-arms and K-member, etc. The list of mods goes on but that should keep her buisy for a few years.
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

To get this V6 into the 13's or 14's on a budget? You're kidding yourself. You want 13's easy, pony up the insurance for the LS1's. Of course it can be done on the V6, but do you honestly want to go to all the trouble? It doesn't sound like either one of you has the mechanical knowledge to live with a highly modded car on a daily basis anyway...
            \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

100 shot and some DR's, and LSD/3.42 would do it, if your running the avg stock 3800 F-bod times
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I know on my regal there is a "U-Bend" its a part of the exhaust that restricts alot of the performance. Does she have this on her car aswell? Or anything else simular to that?

Comment

Originally posted by terminaldegree:
                  It doesn't sound like either one of you has the mechanical knowledge to live with a highly modded car on a daily basis anyway...
                  Whats is considered a "highly modded car". And why do you think that?

Comment

highly modded, you have dug into the engine itself. and unless you know what your doing, you are bound to have some prolbems
                    Fighting Texas Aggie Class 2008<br />3.4 t-top bird<br />K&N cai - Mangaflo 3in catback - 2.5in catco cat - Slect Coils - tb coolant bypass<br /><br />\"no matter how far we\'ve come, i cant wait to see tommrow\" LP

Comment

Originally posted by deanh8:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by terminaldegree:
                      It doesn't sound like either one of you has the mechanical knowledge to live with a highly modded car on a daily basis anyway...
                      Whats is considered a "highly modded car". And why do you think that? </font>[/QUOTE]my car would be highly moded ;) check out my web page
                      www.turbov6camaro.com
                      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by deanh8:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by terminaldegree:
                        Whats is considered a "highly modded car". And why do you think that? </font>[/QUOTE]my car would be highly moded ;) check out my web page </font>[/QUOTE]I guess mine is too :rolleyes:
                        http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...9_373_full.jpg

Comment

I don't think people are trying to be tough on you for this topic. But the question is, rather, um....well, it is not exactly the kind of question that hardened car modifiers would ask.
                          Truthfuly, taking a 16 sec v6... which is already high performance out of the factory...(very close to 1 hp per cubic inch mind you)...and turning it into a engine that breaks the 1 hp to cubic inch barrier by a considerable amount...aka...heavily modded...is a very serious undertaking. This means money, research, time, understanding and on going maintenance.
                          You put a cam in her 02 firebird...you start setting off codes...maybe not pass emissions. Same for heavy exhaust mods. Put a supercharger on wrong and all that money wont make it work...maybe not pass emissions also if not done right...etc., etc.

One thing at a time though,,,as stated earlier in this thread. Do some research here and elswhere and establish some goals.

Most modifications to these modern cars compound/restrict each other so forthought and research is very important.
                          I have aftermarket high ratio rockers...higher valve lift on intake and exhaust. subtle horsepower gain. They will work even better when I change to a bigger base exhaust dimeter system. BUT, I can't use these rockers if I instal an aftermarket high lift performance cam...but the rockers do work well with forced induction.

The question is just rather vague. There are a lot of great people here with a wealth of knowledge about the modern v6 fbody that can be found nowhere else. you came to the right place. now ask the right questions. problems solved.

If your friend is not a mechanic (at least as hobby) with several hundred if not thousands of dollars in tools then going for 15 sec is a much more realistic goal. (daily driver, no emissions hassles, etc.)
                          01 Firebird A4 3.42
                          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                          and other mods
                          Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                            100 shot and some DR's, and LSD/3.42 would do it, if your running the avg stock 3800 F-bod times
                            Finally someone not trying to put the person down. It is possile, look at all the people that have done it with the 3.8's.

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
                            1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
                            1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

Comment

www.howstuffworks.com - then come back here
                              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse