What should my compression be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should my compression be?

My car has about 60,000 miles on it and before i spend another $1000 on my nitrous setup i want to do a compression test to see how healthy my engine is. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea on about how much the compression should be around when the motor was new and about how much compression a 3.8 with a hard 60,000 miles should have on it to still be considered healthy.
    I tried a search did not find much, thanks.

With only 60,000 miles, the compression should be identical or slightly higher (due to carbon buildup) than when it was new.

I will try to lookup the value for our engines in a minute. Stock CR is of course 9.4:1, and total displacement per cyl is 631.88cc when brand new.

A rule of thumb is that there should be no more than 10% to 15% variance from the cylinder with the highest compression reading to the cylinder with the lowest reading.

Since our CR is 9.4:1, and atmospheric is 14.7psi, you should register readings ~138psi per cyl.

Hopefully then they'll be between 132-140psi.

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Dominic ]</p>
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
      by ssms5411
      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
      1 week ago
    • RPDRed6
      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
      by RPDRed6
      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
      3 weeks ago
    • ssms5411
      No start problem
      by ssms5411
      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X