Has anyone ever removed their harmonic balancer? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever removed their harmonic balancer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever removed their harmonic balancer?

I cant get the big bolt in the middle off. I have a 15 inch 1/2 inch drive breaker bar with a pair of bike forks on the end for extra leverage and all that is happening is that the breaker bar is bending and flexing. Do I really need something bigger like a 5/8 drive breaker bar that is like 4 foot long?

Thanks for any help.

you are gonna need about a 4 foot cheater bar on there..
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Comment

Yep, thats what I though. Is the 1/2 inch going to be strong enough or am I gonna break the bar?

Comment

Is that the crank bolt? Magnus broke a breaker bar, others have mostly resorted to impact guns. Save yourself the strain ... AIR TOOLS!
        -Rob
        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Yeah I have a feeling my bar would have broke. I just tried again and the bar was bending like 6-7 inches and not moving the bolt yet. I just called moble mechanic and its going to cost like 110 bucks but at least I wont damage anything trying to get it off.

Comment

If you're able to break a 1/2" breaker bar that's only 15" long. I don't think you are going to get the bolt off! You mean 3/8" drive?

I'd go with air tools, or, as said a 4 foot cheater bar. I use the long handle of my floor jack.
            <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

No its a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar. But I have it set up that someone is coming to my house tommorrow with air tools to get it off and put it back on. I hate spending that money but I have no choice.

Thanks for everyones help though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X