leaking oil, possibly oil pan gasket or rear main. got ????? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

leaking oil, possibly oil pan gasket or rear main. got ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking oil, possibly oil pan gasket or rear main. got ?????

alright, got up this morning and brought the car out of the garage and saw some slight oil on the floor. jacket up the car and took a look. there is some oil on the back of the pan and i believe its the gasket because i couldnt see any oil above the pan. its pretty much on the back of the pan and covers the bolts and comes down the pan around the bolt to empty the pan. of done a search. you guys have any advice on if it might be a rear main leak and if its th gasket, do i have to move the engine or can i just take off the k-member? all info will be very appreciated.

[ June 04, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: BLLDOGG ]
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

please help guys.

Comment

Sounds like the rear main seal. I can check my manual and post later with how big of a job you're looking at..
      2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

thanks timbo. does anyone know how i can figure out if its my rear main or oil pan gasket before i go by a new gasket?

Comment

Dude, its a rear main seal... It is about 400 dollar job by a good mechanic. I had mine but it stopped. I guess this thing comes and goes.
          <i>00\' NBM Firebird~T-5<br />60\': <b>2.29 sec.</b><br />1/4: <b>14.7 @ 95.5 MPH<br />Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me.</b></i>

Comment

You can usually ignore the rear main until it becomes really bad - mine has a rear main leak and it loses about a few ounces of oil between oil changes. Most of the time they just seem to be intermittent or go away depending on the weather here, apparently.

To get it fixed, it'll cost about $400 since they have to drop the tranny.
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

is there anyways to find out for sure? i going to have it checked by a mechanic tomorrow and i need to knwo myself how to find out cause i dont want to be screwed plus i want to fix it myself.

Comment

Its pretty hard to determine, but more than likely, it's ur rear main. You can try to clean up that oil and see, but it's hard to tell. How many miles u got? mine started around 35k. Changed it at 74k, now it's 140k and starting again.
                1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

got 73K, bought the car at 63K

Comment

i dont know what the hell a rear main is or what it looks like or where its at to see if its the problem so if you could hook me up with some info on that i would really appreciate it

Comment

alright people, i ahve been doing some resaerch and im ready to do my rear main seal. do you guys think that the chilton reapair book help me out alot? im probably going to be doing it this sunday along w/ my headers/cat./cut-out/s-pipe/I-pipe.

im ganna get alot done [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

Comment

Be very careful with your tranny - this might be a good time to do some tranny work while you've got it out of the car too. It'll take a long time to do, just take your time and don't be in a rush - last thing you want to do is drop that tranny. :eek:
                        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

if you want to know for CERTAIN if it is the rear main seal, go to a dealership and ask for engine oil dye, put that in drive it around for a good bid and then jack the car up and look at it with a black light, you will be able to see very easily where it is coming from.
                          1987 Buick Grand National drivetrain in my 1993 Pontiac Firebird. PT53 turbo, 212/212 comp cam, 3400 lockup converter, stock heads, Precision bar & plate FMIC with 3\" piping, 1994 z28 rearend, hotwired walbro 255 fuel pump, Nitto drag radials

Comment

well, impretty sure it the rear main. i called up the dealer for parts and they said i need the seal and some housing. do i need that houseing or what? would it be a godd idea to change it anyways?

Comment

if the dealer says you need it then you prolly will need it. i just said the dye idea so you dont replace one seal and then you still have the leak for the other one.
                              1987 Buick Grand National drivetrain in my 1993 Pontiac Firebird. PT53 turbo, 212/212 comp cam, 3400 lockup converter, stock heads, Precision bar & plate FMIC with 3\" piping, 1994 z28 rearend, hotwired walbro 255 fuel pump, Nitto drag radials

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X