Unplugged VSS...results inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unplugged VSS...results inside

I am dynoing tomorrow (technically today i guess now) and i wanted to find out if unplugging my VSS would rid me of my governor. Well, it apparently worked, because i reached about 5300 RPM in 4th before i was forced to shut it down, due to lack of anymore straight road. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The ONLY cool thing about having the VSS unplugged was having no governor. The car ran like SH*T!! I never would have thought that one little speed sensor would make a car run so bad. At first, everything seemed OK, but then i started noticing little things. The RPMs seemed to hang a tiny bit between shifts while i was on the clutch. At first i thought nothing of it. Then, as i was on my way to my friend's house, I was coming to a stop and pressed in the clutch. Right as i came to a stop, the car died on me. I thought, wtf? and oh well. Cranked her up, continued on.

This is when i noticed something that me and my friend's had discussed before. We had always discussed how on every 5spd car we have seen, while cruising down the road and pressing in the clutch, the car doesn't go all the way down to idle. Well, with the VSS unplugged, it sure does.

After sitting at my friend's house for a few minutes, me and him hopped in the car to go see if my governor was really gone. After a few attempts, we finally got a clear road with no traffic. Car pulled all the way up to 5300 in 4th, before i had to shut it down. Doesnt the governor usually hit about 4800??

Anyways, back to the car running like ****. After an attempt at the top speed run, we came to a stop sign and the car died again (probably the 4th time it had done it by now). When i cranked the car back up, it ran like **** for a minute or so. It sounded like i had a cam in it for real! Me and my friend heard it idling, both looked at each other, then both started rolling down our windows so we could hear it better. Right at that moment, the car revs up to about 2k for just a second, as if i had pressed the gas pedal or something. I looked at my friend and said "I didn't press the gas pedal." We both just started laughing. We couldnt believe how much the speed sensor effected the way the car ran. The car ran fine the majority of the time, but did seem to like to die when slowing down with the clutch in. It also liked to hang at the RPM that you let off at in between shifts. I shifted one time and sat there with the clutch in for a few seconds and the RPMs never even budged to come down for a good 3-4 seconds. The car was just confused as hell without the sensor plugged in I guess.

I guess it was a learning experience and i guess I will be unplugging the sensor for the dyno. Sorry for the book, I never knew that unplugging the sensor would be this eventful.

[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Amped96 ]</p>
    <b>Matt</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=1\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Z28 M6</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=3\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro M5</a>

So only slowing down is a problem?

I was actually thinking of hooking up a toggle switch in the wire coming out the sensor so in effect its working fine then you are riding out 4th gear, and flip the switch.

It had no other problems under WOT acceleration?

Also jsut the speedo go out or anything else?

Comment

Well, for the record the car did feel pretty slow under WOT. The next day i checked the codes and my car had thrown two. It was showing code P0507 and P0102. One was a MAF code and i can't remember the other one. When i went to dyno (dyno'd @ hypertech), I asked what would be best to do? If i should dyno in 3rd or unplug the VSS and dyno in 4th? He suggested that i dyno in 3rd, because unplugging a major sensor like the VSS puts the car in limp mode. He said (and others i have talked to have said the same) dynoing in 3rd will make the hp numbers just a LITTLE low. I put down 173hp so it might be like 175 or so. Not too big a deal.

I dyno'd 173hp and 211lbft, by the way. This was done in 3rd gear and I have SLP CAI, 3" catco cat, and a dynomax muffler.

EDIT: Yes, It was just the speedo that went out, but it did seem to effect the car more than just that as I triggered two codes. P0102 and P0507.

You're car being OBDI though...who knows? heh

[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: Amped96 ]</p>
      <b>Matt</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=1\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Z28 M6</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=3\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro M5</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X