No announcement yet.

High milage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure what the cover looked like. I was reading it a couple weeks ago waiting to get my hair cut. I think that it was actually an issue on the new cars and somewhere it had something about the past cars as well, totally hashing on the F-Bods. It did say that they were rough riding, but I think that my car is more comfortable than my girlfriends Civic.
    1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

1998, 74000 miles. Nothing major.

Starter went out around 60000. I thought it was a wiring problem and let the dealership diagnose it. They replaced the starter for $380... About every 6 months, the car wouldn't start - all lights would come on, but no activity from the starter. After I'd try about 20 times, it would finally start and be ok for another 6 months. The last time, it wouldn't start at all.

The pinion seal has seeped a little, all along, and I haven't done anything to fix it. I check the grease every now and then, and it's always full. And I wipe off the torque arm, since that's where the grease always seeps to.

Transmission sounds/acts a little funny pulling a light grade around 35mph under light throttle. I just let off all the way, or mash the gas down some more, and it quits making that noise... Almost like an exhaust vibration, but a little deeper, coming from the trans.

Rotors are a little warped. Have been since about 20000. Some days it's not noticeable. The past month it's been more noticeable than any time over the past 4 years. May have to actually put some more on it, or get them turned. Still have the originals on it, and haven't turned them. On the second set of front brake pads, still on the first set in the back.
      \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

'99 -- 68,000 miles.

only problem is my recently developed oil leak. since i am under an extended warrranty they (the dealership) is plugging away at the problem. they initially diagnosed as valve cover and oil pan gasker (i agree on the valve cover, but i am pretty sure its the rear main seal, and not the oil pan gasket)

if i had to fix the rear main seal myself i would be pretty annoyed.

Comment

96' 82,000 Miles
          Fuel Pump - Went bad :(
          Heater Hose Assembly
          Pulleys a few of them warped and threw off the serpentine belt.
          Windshield got replaced due to crack and sand that had been rubbed and scratched it made it all fuzy. Got that fixed with Insurance. Not to many problems. Also a few interior things like door moldings and junk but nothing to serious. But as of like 2 weeks ago I need new rotors and pads. Darnit haha guess more things have gone wrong with my car than I thought.

-Jason
          <a href=\"http://www.saintsworth.com/z06\" target=\"_blank\">\'02 Corvette Z06</a>

Comment

139,000 all i've had to do is replace the altenator.
            New Car: 2004 GTP Comp G (Test Vehicle) 13.936@99.32 <br />Mods: Cylinder Filter,No Mufflers, 3.3\" <br />Old Car: 2000 Formula 13.124 @ 106.01 with 2.73\'s<br />Other Car: 1993 Firebird 16.1@83

Comment

man, are fbodies this picky? they seem to give a bit of problems... they are high miles tho, so gotta give the credit [img]smile.gif[/img] I hope i never get problems when i pick my camaro up this week.

Comment

hmm...
                i think i've had a lot of problems with my car, well as of late. if its not one thing its another and almost all of my paychecks seem to go to fixing my car.

my muffer fell off(not my problem, but long story involved). i got that fixed with a whole catback system.

my alternator died. i got a new high output one.

i had a huge misfire problem. it took months to fix. replaced evertying but the ICM.

now my valves are leaking. ugh. who knows how much that will cost. they tightened them down for now to see if that will fix it. if not its going to kill me.

its hard to mod you car when you are constantly fixing it. but i love it to death.
                oh yea, my door just broke, too. well kindo of. one of the latches that holes the interior door panel on broke so now when i shut my door with my window down some it goes back and forth and rips the tint off of my car. i also think my rotors are warped a bit. when i stop it goes like ::hard...roll..hard...roll..hard..roll:: but not all fo the time. my shocks need to be replaced also. every tiny bump makes my car jump. its ridiculous. oh the money i need to save to get it nice.
                \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

I have 115k

I have replaced a bunch of drivetrain components, but hey were mainly due to driving/racing habits.

I would check the tranny mount, I have seen a couple people say theres have gone out. mine did but I am rough on the car.

make sure you change some of those more unsual fluids like differential, tranny, maybe power steering.

only odd things to go out on my car.

3 cooling fans(one trashed due to an accident)

Around 105k, problem with ignition lock cylinder(basically the thing the key went in, had it replaced and got a different set of keys for hte ignition.)

My EGr came loose for no reason, but my engine is different then yours.

small oil leak form rear main, but i do not really have to add oil or anything.

Comment

Well, it seems to me that for the most part they are reliable cars compared to those of the past. I can definately see a thing with the rear main seal, but everyone that has had one replaced has had no probs since. Altenators seem to be dying, but new cars are high demanding. Windows seem to be a prob, but look at the size of them things.

Seems to me that checking these components and lots of TLC can prevent a lot of problems in the future. I think that this post was definately worth the while and new guys/gals to the V6 F-Bodies should benefit from this nicely. Thanx everyone for the info. But if you still have more to add, lets keep it going.
                    1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

yes, lets keep it going heh

does adding mods make the car have more probs too? hehe

Comment

oh yeah alternator and rear main also
                        My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

humm.....98 with 14,000mi
                          I kinda feel bad, I bought it with 10,000 in january and since then I have been driving it every day [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
                          anyway, no problems of yet other then the few rattles, but that is to be expected.
                          ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Comment

88,000 miles.. [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

A couple of oxygen sensors, both headlight motors (used the quick fix) and lamps, left turn signal switch needs to be replaced - when used the left side brake light stays out if not taped back up, I also noticed the mid mount brake light sockets when i replaced the bulbs had been melted (installed smaller watt bulbs). cracked a rim but that was my fault. spark plug wires failed (stupid gm ones).

The other 2k that was spend since purchased was regular maintaince. Plugs, belts, flushes, oil, etc... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                            2006 Mustang Premium GT - Legendary Green - LLR#00321
                            Tint: %5 Rear/Louver & %35 doors, BBK CAI w/Brenspeed XCALII tune, Sill inserts,
                            Shorty Antenna, Billet Locks, JBA Exhaust- The quest continues

Comment

98 with 93,000 miles. i bought it with 88,000, so i haven't had too much time to discover any problems, but i haven't had any problems since buying it. How often should a tune up be done and can i do it myself? i'm not sure when the last one was done on this car.
                              1998 Sport Metallic Gold Camaro<br />Current Mods<br />AIWA CD/MP3 player<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Dual 3.5\" chrome exhaust tips<br />Removed Front Grill<br />Functional RAM AIR, ss-style hood<br />Exhaust Cutout<p>Future Mods:<br />Leather Seats<br />Improved audio system<br />Different wheels<br />Indiglo gauges<p><a href=\"http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/\" target=\"_blank\">http://hometown.aol.com/saturn2187/</a>

Comment

hehehe...i got you all beat! 180,000 on my baby....the only thing that ever went wrong was the stock catalytic converter went out on me around 160,000 miles. Other than that I have had no problems (knock on wood).

As for the mod question I have had no problems with that either. I didnt start modding my car until way after 100,000 miles and I have had no problems. The SES light came on a couple times when I first installed the Jet computer but I worked that out and have never had a single problem with any of my mods since.
                                1995 Camaro<br />3.4 Engine<br />5 Speed<p>PERFORMANCE: 3 Inch Cat, 3 inch Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back, 3.42 Gears, Jet Stage 2, Low Temp T-Stat, K&N CAI, ASP Pullies, TPS Enhancer, MSD Wires, Free Mods.<br />APPEARANCE: Z-Roc Hood, Chrome 5 spokes, Custom Emblems, LGMotorsports Wing.<br />BEST TIME: 15.7 @ 92.1<p>GO ARMY!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X