Water pump replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump replacement?

So how hard is it? What all has to come off. I have changed them before (on old Chevy v8s) but I heard the 3.8s are different, like behind the timing chain cover?> Different. I havnt looked yet just started calling around at work today.

The dealer wants 361.66 to replace a 50.00 part. Grease it up a little will ya! Plus I would also need a rental car while it was in the shop.

I am thinking for 300.00 I will take the day off (it's paid), and do it my self.

Moderators please, I did a search and there are plenty of water pump questions. I need to know what's involved in changing one
    I have made a lot of money in my life, most of which I spent on cars and women.<p>The rest I have blown.

Changed mine. 350 bucks? laugh in there face [img]smile.gif[/img]

I was only 17 years old, and it wasn't a big deal at all. Let me remember what I did... took off intake assembly, radiator ( not needed, but I had to flush it anyways ) and unscrewed the "wheel" on the pump( at least loosen it), took off the acc. belt, pull off the water pump "wheel", and unscrewed it and pulled it off. ( you might have to drain some coolant first, make sure car is cold, at least not hot ) cleaned gasket surface, and basically bolted back up the new one ( new gasket and stuff ) slapped in some new coolant/water blah blah works fine! [img]smile.gif[/img] Lifetime warranty too...

ended up costing me around 70-90 dollars, I think. wasn't too exspensive, but took about 2days ( the first time I do something ot the car, I'm very picky about it and take my time )
    RedLineVSix <br />95 Patriot Red Trans Am, M6, 3.42\'s,no rear tires<br />(SOLD!)97 Silver Camaro 3.8 Liter A4 3.42 + LSD, 1pc DS, and one messed up speedo :)

Comment

So I got home last night and checked the manual. Seems pretty straight forward:
      Disconnect cable
      Drain fluid
      Remove hose
      Remove belt
      Remove pulley
      Remove pump

Looks like the hardest part is to torque the bolts back down right.
      I have made a lot of money in my life, most of which I spent on cars and women.<p>The rest I have blown.

Comment

Slow...

Just did last week to my '97 Camaro. Took all of about an hour (didn't have any coolant around the garage and had to run and get some... so it can be done quicker)

Drain the radiator. Take the belt off, then take the pulley off the pump. Take the pump off, clean the gasket surface. I used Perma-Tex's "Form-a-Gasket" along with the gasket supplied. I paid $50 for a new Airtex water pump (part # AW5075) - that was at cost (I know the guy who runs the part shop :D ) Let the Perma-Tex get sticky and slap the pump back where it belongs. Torque your bolts. Put the pulley back on. Put the belt back on. Fill the radiator, start her up and check for leaks. I went back this week and made sure the bolts were tight, just to be safe.

$360 is a joke. Save yourself the labor cost and do it yourself (on the weekend). You'll still have time left over to do something else! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
        Zobe

Comment

did mine in 40 mins... the hardest part is getting off the old gasket
          97 Camaro RS<p>Big stall converter, Big fuel pump, Big cam and alot of nitrous

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X