why my autoxray reads 13.5-13.8 volts.....??? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why my autoxray reads 13.5-13.8 volts.....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why my autoxray reads 13.5-13.8 volts.....???

Well I hooked my autoxray up to see what my voltage was at and was amazed to see 13.8-13.5 while the car was running. I went to the battey terminals and it read 14.4 volts. Here is my question.....

I have 4 guage amp wire (soon to be 1/0 guage) and is there any way to test what voltage is getting to my amps? If I hook the voltmeter up to the terminal on the + and - of the amps will it tell me my voltage? I am curious because I will be pissed if my amps aren't getting what they should. I heard that the higher 13 volt range was ok, as long as the battery is charging.

Just curious, hehe is all.

Chris

Yeah you can check the voltage at the amp, just check right across the terminals at the amp, like you did for the battery. If you are seeing volatages anywhere from 12.5 to 15 volts at your amp it will all be the same. They are built to run with wide voltage swings, its not till you get below 12.5 that there will really be a difference in sound quality.

Only the voltage at the battery should be around 14.4 volts, it will be higher at times when the alt is tryin to charge the battery and lower at times when a load is imposed upon the battery.
    Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

Only VERY expensive amplifiers have true voltage regulators on them. Which means that the more volts you give them, the more output they're capable of. (in general)

13.8 is normal, 13.5 is too. You'll more than likely see about 13.5 to 13.2 at the amp. Not to worry though. Most companies rate their amps with a 12 volt supply. (some do 13.8, but they usualy specify)

-Brian
      Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X