i need help identifying my firebird! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need help identifying my firebird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help identifying my firebird!

i looked thru all the like technical databases and stuff, and still need help. So far all i know is that its a white 1996 firebird, v6. thats basically all i know, it looks like it has some type of ground effects kit, and im not sure if the exhaust is stock or not. the exhaust is like 2 ovals on the sides of tyhe car like ( )......( ), its also an automatic, im really confused if i should ttry modding it or not depending on what model it is, thanks.

There were only two V6 models, coupes and convertibles.

There were many options, and a lot of cars have had aftermarket stuff put on.
    2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

if the exhaust tips are turned down then you have a the Y87 package. that means you have LSD and 3:42 gears. if they are not, thats an aftermarket exhaust. do you have a pic of you car? if not, go to cardomain.com and find a firebird with the ground effects just like your and we can tell you if it is aftermarket or not. by the way...... look here that will tell you everything [img]smile.gif[/img]
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

the ground effects could be part of the w68 package which would explain the oval shaped exhaust, (exactly my car) however, my car is a 98 not a 96 not sure what the exhaust look like 2 years earlier on a w68
        1999 3.8L v6 Firebird (Amy)<br />borla cat-back, ws6 ram air hood with airbox sitting in garage, SLP: fan control switch, strut tower brace, subframe connectors, and zexel torsen lsd.<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sibble99fbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/sibble99fbird</a>

Comment

the appreance package is totally seperate from the performance package. just look at the link and that will tell you everything you need to know

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
            if the exhaust tips are turned down then you have a the Y87 package. that means you have LSD and 3:42 gears.
            hmmm... never thought about this... my car has an exhaust system on it and the two pipes turn down. but the Y87 came with 4-wheel disc brakes right? if it did, then i guess the last owner just put the exhaust on.
            1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

Check your door codes (numbers on your driver's side door), and if it says Y87 you have the Y87 Performance Package. Check out my car here and tell me if it looks like mine. If it does, you don't have a body kit. If it doesn't, then you must have an aftermarket body kit, because the WS6 package didn't come with the '96 models.
              <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

Originally posted by j_downey50:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
                if the exhaust tips are turned down then you have a the Y87 package. that means you have LSD and 3:42 gears.
                hmmm... never thought about this... my car has an exhaust system on it and the two pipes turn down. but the Y87 came with 4-wheel disc brakes right? if it did, then i guess the last owner just put the exhaust on. </font>[/QUOTE]well, i never thought about it being different for your years [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]

Comment

ok according to my service pannel i have w68 and y87, yeah i guess. i never really knew i had this perfermance packaged, so please tell me if it is any good. and would it still be better to upgrade the exhaust, and even though my car is an automatic, do you think it can still be a good dragger? thanks.

[ September 01, 2004, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: negativepulse3 ]

Comment

Originally posted by Earnhardt132000:
                    Check your door codes (numbers on your driver's side door), and if it says Y87 you have the Y87 Performance Package.
                    Hey, I just checked mine, and among the many codes, Y87 was in there. But, I don't have a dual exhaust. Any ideas? I'd be very happy with just LSD.

Comment

Does your car have 4-wheel disc brakes? If so, you most likely have LSD. Have you had the car since new? If not, the previous owner may have put an aftermarket exhaust on it...
                      <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

It does have 4 wheel disk brakes, but it's a 2000 though, and according to that page, they're standard in that year. The exhaust doesn't Sound exactly stock, but it doesn't look aftermarket either. I only bought the car recently with 134k miles on it.

Comment

Does your car have 4-wheel disc brakes? If so, you most likely have LSD.
                          4 wheel disk brakes were standard starting in 98 I believe (defintely by 99). So having 4 wheel disk brakes means nothing about having LSD.

I have a 99 that has 4 wheel disc brakes and I didn't have LSD. (I do know since I added it).
                          SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Sorry, didn't know he had a newer year than me. Do a burnout and if both tires spin, you most likely have LSD. Or put it up on a lift and spin one of the tires. If both spin, you have LSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Earnhardt132000:
                              Or put it up on a lift and spin one of the tires. If both spin, you have LSD.
                              False.
                              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X