What the heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck?

Ok. I'll just be cruising along, nothing out of the ordinary. And then my car will shut off completely, and then the electrical stuff will come back on, and i have to turn the car back on. What the heck is that all about?
    -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

My bird has been doing that crap for the last 3 months and no one has yet to find an answer as to why it does it. It's done it over 20 times while driving and the engine just shuts off and brings up the check gauges light. I have to pull over, wait a few minutes and it starts up rough, but it runs. Then it does it again a few minutes later usually. Anyone have any ideas? It is currently sitting at the second mechanic that has told me he can't find anything. It's about to be at a dealer if I can't figure this out. Can ANYONE please help????
    SOLD - 1999 Black Firebird<br />A4, T-tops, 3.42 gears, Y87 Package<br />[Appearance mods] Chrome side vents, Pontiac metallic silver rear inlay<br />[Performance mods] TSP Rumbler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/eminemz115\" target=\"_blank\">PICS</a>

Comment

I would check something plain and stupid, like the battery ground, or some other important ground wire. Then simple stuff like the fuel filter. You could go to an AutoZone, they will check for codes for free. That way if you are throwing a code you'll be one step closer to solving your problem.
      1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

No codes are being thrown in my car. The fuel filter was changed about a month after the problem started, along with oil filter, and fuel system additive. Engine coolant has been flushed out and brand new dexcool has been added. Problem still persists :-(
        SOLD - 1999 Black Firebird<br />A4, T-tops, 3.42 gears, Y87 Package<br />[Appearance mods] Chrome side vents, Pontiac metallic silver rear inlay<br />[Performance mods] TSP Rumbler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/eminemz115\" target=\"_blank\">PICS</a>

Comment

mine has done that a couple times, but the car was in park both times... no idea. when i go to start it back up, it has some trouble but always starts.
          1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1234:
            Ok. I'll just be cruising along, nothing out of the ordinary. And then my car will shut off completely, and then the electrical stuff will come back on, and i have to turn the car back on. What the heck is that all about?
            in a 96? we have the most reliable year f-bodies! check your battery cables.

Comment

The battery cables seem alright, but i'll check it out more thoroughly later. My battery doesn't seem to be attached to anything, i can pick it up and stuff. It doesn't have any problems starting back up after it turns off, its just freaking weird, and annoying.

Reliable my arse. My car must have been way mistreated by its previous owners because i've had problem after problem.
              -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

My mom's old 2000 GTP used to do that when you stopped really hard sometimes
                2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
                Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

You figure out what it was yet? Mine craps out on me on turns and lights, etc... I still don't know what it is. Sometimes it gives me a rough start after it does it and others, it won't even start for a good 5 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by Skapimp:
                    My mom's old 2000 GTP used to do that when you stopped really hard sometimes
                    My S-10 used to do that, and you know what it was? If the ABS activated, even slightly like over train tracks or something when you were stopping hard, sometimes the power draw would cut the power to the car off.

Start to narrow it down. Is it when you are on the brakes? Is it when you turn something on? Step on the gas?

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1234:
                      The battery cables seem alright, but i'll check it out more thoroughly later. My battery doesn't seem to be attached to anything, i can pick it up and stuff. It doesn't have any problems starting back up after it turns off, its just freaking weird, and annoying.

Reliable my arse. My car must have been way mistreated by its previous owners because i've had problem after problem
                      You and me both! I've had so much stuff go wrong and I take good care of it...and when I bought the car it had 73k..now it only has 86k and the last thing was HUGE...cracked head...blown head gasket...very expenive... [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] previous owner

Comment

Originally posted by JoshMcMadMac:
                        I would check something plain and stupid, like the battery ground, or some other important ground wire. Then simple stuff like the fuel filter. You could go to an AutoZone, they will check for codes for free. That way if you are throwing a code you'll be one step closer to solving your problem.
                        Im with him check you grounds, and the wiring to you're battery and maybe even the alternator. but im leaning more to you're grounds.
                        ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

Comment

I think it was my connection to the battery, but i dont really know now, because my car won't start.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X