Exploding starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploding starters

Before I replaced the Lower and upper intake gaskets, plugs and wire etc etc I had no starting issues, car even ran okay
    i bought this car a couple months ago and I found out later it mostly sat in barn for years
    when I went to start the car after doing all the above the starter engaged for a milli second then a thud
    oh also I did a A/C delete and had to do a different belt route, but like I said the engine I hand turned the engine with no problems
    When I removed the original starter the inside gears were destroyed.
    I spun the engine by hand a couple times to check if maybe a had dropped a bolt and it jammed somewhere
    The next starter did exactly the same thing, a click and a thud
    the third starter turned the engine over for a few seconds then a louder thud

Any ideas, I’m stumped especially since nothing down there was touched
    Will a mis alignment of the starter be the problem, but original starter worked fine before the job started
    Flywheel was checked for damage, none found, the plastic internal starter gear failed the first time so I doubt any damage to flywheel

I’m walking away from this one until I can figure out a different direction

thanks

Since they sit flush and there’s no shims , I would say flywheel, something’s not right, no teeth missing? Have someone turn the crank and have someone look at the flywheel to make sure it’s not bent. Never know what someone has done to it before you got it.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Since they sit flush and there’s no shims , I would say flywheel, something’s not right, no teeth missing? Have someone turn the crank and have someone look at the flywheel to make sure it’s not bent. Never know what someone has done to it before you got it.
      Yea, that’s what I’m hoping, that it’s just a flywheel and not a damaged engine
      im not capable to do that in my driveway, so I’ll call my shop to book an appointment

thanks

Comment

Did you check the starters manually? I’d have Autozone or just jump them yourself to see if they still work. I’ve done mine before when my positive wire on the starter was bad. Now I have extra starter. Lol
        yeah if your making a full rotation at the crank and not hearing anything or binding you should be good engine wise. Also check your vacuum lines since you had it apart, if it line was off or a big crack in the line it would have the same effect. Good luck.
        Last edited by ssms5411; 08-05-2024, 11:03 AM.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yup, the starter guy showed me the drive gear extending and spinning before install
          i may need shims they say you don’t need them but if the starter is not correctly engaging the flywheel you can run into binding of the gears when the flywell gets rolling

It’s going to my regular shop, they have knowledgeable mechanic there

Comment

That’s good, has to be something with the flywheel then. I’m glad you have a shop you can trust, hard to find nowadays. Let us know what they say.

Comment

Crossing my fingers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X