No start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No start problem

So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery connections. Got dark so will mess with it tomorrow. Tried both keys so maybe not VATS. Thinking BCM . Will double check grounds and what not, Not hearing anything from the starter, It’s about a year old. Any other suggestions?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Thinking about it, could be the starter power wire. Did that few years back I think so will check that also.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Everything looks good, going to jack it up this next week and take a look at the starter wire and test the starter.

Comment

Found my extra starter finally, of course it had to be in the back of my storage shed, it fell behind the tubs. lol About 10 tubs in spent the day searching the office, downstairs room and beneath the house. Then remembered I put it in the shed. Will get to it this week.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery connections. Got dark so will mess with it tomorrow. Tried both keys so maybe not VATS. Thinking BCM . Will double check grounds and what not, Not hearing anything from the starter, It’s about a year old. Any other suggestions?
          That thud sound happened to me twice about a month ago. It was the internal plastic gear ring that let go
          The starter rebuilder thinks it’s an electrical issue, bad ground or bad connection. A lot happens with a starter almost instantaneously. The first is the bendix drive moves out and engages the flywheel (solenoid)
          and a millisecond later the power of the starter motor kicks in to spin that bendix gear.
          It all needs to happen seamlessly, if a voltage issue happens it throws the whole sequence of events out of whack and bad things happen

That was roughly the explanation I got.. I’ll let you know, been to busy to get back at it. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the info Kubes, checked the starter wire this morning, it was fine. Going to jump the starter tomorrow see if it cranks. I’ll know soon enough, hopefully it is just the starter. I read a bad BCM can cause the problem too.

Comment

Checked the starter it cranked over, scared the crap out of me.lol I knew it was going to be quick when I touched both connections together. Going to disable VATS on Hptuners and flash the car.

Comment

Disabled VATS it was on PWM changed it to serial. Still no start. Any suggestions, getting ready to call the mobile mechanic for some help. Going to look at the starter relay and the alarm system next.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 1 week ago.

Comment

Anyone know where the starter relay is ? Can’t find one, nothing in the Haynes manual either. Found the fuel pump relay on driver side kick panel. I’m stumped, mobile mechanic is coming tomorrow so I can hope he figures it out, see if he can find my oil leak too.
                  Last edited by ssms5411; 1 week ago.

Comment

Check your email.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Thanks Robert, gives me something to look at tomorrow when looking at the car.

Comment

After looking around the internet, I’m pretty sure it’s the ignition switch on the steering column. I’ll see what the mechanic thinks. It’s still stock so over 28 years, I would think it might go out. Ordered the part from Rockauto , not too bad to replace.

Comment

Just for info, I got a new key made tried it this morning and does the same thing. I really think it’s the ignition switch on the steering column. Get the part on Wednesday so I’m going to go ahead and pull the old one out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X