newbie question about changing spark plugs - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie question about changing spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie question about changing spark plugs

... how do i go about changing my spark plugs? i hear that compared to other cars ... changing the plugs on a camaro is pretty hard. i tried searching the forum on directions on how to change the spark plugs, but im guessing everyone already knows how ... except me.

would someone be nice enough to write out briefly, step by step what i need to do in order to change my spark plugs?
    99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

They're kind of a pain in the butt to change, you'll need some sort of swivel rig on your socket wrench. Some of them you can get from the top, including two on the drivers side which is where you should probably start, to get a feel for things.

Make sure you just do one plug at a time so that you dont mix up the wires.

For the drivers side, you can just stick your hand down by the exhaust manifold and feel around until you feel the boot, which is probably covered by a metal shield. Just pull that off and unscrew the spark plug with a socket wrench and extension. You should be able to take it from there.

For some you'll have to jack up the car and go from underneath.

Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
    -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

asdf1234 prety much did a good job. do what he said. its really not that hard. once you get the first one taken care of, you'll know what do to from there.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I don't know why you guys have such a hard time. It's really easy. Get a spark plug socket, 5/8ths I believe. Attach it to a ratchet. I didn't use ANY type of swivel, so I don't know why its needed. As a matter of fact i need an extension. I loosed all the plugs by ratchet, then took the ratchet off of the sockets and just unscrewed the spark plug...easy...
        1996 Camaro, Built Motor(L/C,Cam, Ported), T66 FFF Kit, N20, 36 lb. Inject., FMU, 255 Walbro, 00+ Manifolds, SFC, LCA, Tubular K, Adj. PHR, 17x9.5,x11 Chrome ZR1, Front 35MM/Rear 21 MM Swaybars

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSiri:
          I don't know why you guys have such a hard time. It's really easy. Get a spark plug socket, 5/8ths I believe. Attach it to a ratchet. I didn't use ANY type of swivel, so I don't know why its needed. As a matter of fact i need an extension. I loosed all the plugs by ratchet, then took the ratchet off of the sockets and just unscrewed the spark plug...easy...
          sound like you have headers

or a 2000 plus
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSiri:
            Yea, you probably have headers or a 2000 + like Viper said, but no one can tell because your profile isn't complete.
            -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

his profile said '99 camaro. must have headers.
              1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

Here us a tip when changing the plugs, use a box wrench on the end of the spark plug socket for the middle plugs to break them loose, works great!
                95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

heres another tip. dont try to jam the socket and everything in at once. put the socket on first, then put the swivel attachment on, then the wrench in some cases.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X