What To Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Buy?

I just graduated and have been receiving money. I'm putting some of it aside but I wanted to spend $1000 or less of it. So far I have a K & N air filter and a 40 series Flowmaster exhaust. I would like to get mods that upgrade my accelleration without sacrificing too much gas mileage. More HP is more than welcome. I will probably be putting on a 160 degree low temp thermostat so that I can put a stage 2 jet chip module on my car. So what should I do first? Thanks in advance.

Also, where on the internet do I find a 6lb. powerdyne kit and how much does it cost... And is it even worth the money.
    1995 3.4L A4 Firebird White w/T-Tops *SOLD*<br />**NEW CAR**<br />2004 White Cavalier Coupe<br />2.2l ECOtec 5 speed

I have read about people having problems with the Jet Chips. This shop my dad used to work out looked in some of the jet chips and they didn't change a single thing from factory settings. I would go with a fast chip (www.fastchip.com). My car has one and I noticed a big difference.
    You can also get a Cold Air Intake for about $200 which makes a nice difference in acceleration as well.
    <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

For acceleration definitely buy a cold air intake. SLP makes one that you can get for a little over 200 bucks. You can also find the powerdyne supercharger at http://www.rksport.com and i think it goes for $3,500-$3,700. Something around there.
      1996 Camaro RS Bright Red<br />3.8L V6 A4 3.42\'s<br />K&N Filtercharger<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler<br />Y87 Performance Package

Comment

Definiately get a cold air intake. I had the K&N drop in for a while and thought I was adding a little horsepower. You'll look back and laugh as soon as you install a CAI. The big gain is in the smoother flowing bends. Air filters can only do so much until you smooth out the passages for the air.

While we're talking about smoothing out bends, let's talk about that exhaust. I haven't bit the bullet yet but a cat-back exhaust will do a lot more than just a weld-in muffler. The big gains come from the intermediate pipe which connects the catalytic converter to the muffler. Most guys upgrade to a 3" cat-back since our cars come from the factory with a 2.5" I-pipe. More air in the cylinders equals more power. This is best accomplished with a CAI and cat-back. This combination is a proven winner.

Next, work on the computer. There are several ways to do this. One is to get a custom program installed on your PCM. But this is geared more towards guys that have moderate to heavy mods such as camshafts. Or you can go the plug-and-go route like I did. I've got a Hypertech programmer, which is also for sale here--&gt;HPP, that does several things. First it adds around 6-7 rear wheel horses(go to my website in my sig for dyno sheets). Second, it turns the fans on at a lower temperature to keep your engine cooler. They recommend that you install a 160 degree thermostat to compliment this function. Third, it firms up your shift points. You'll notice this most on the 1-2 shift. Last, it removes your top speed limiter. Other chips only work on horsepower. The Hypertech does four things! Talk about bang for the buck! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] But, if you'd rather go with another brand, at least you'll be making improvements.

Another thing I'd look into would be the ignition. This will add some horses and improve your gas mileage a bit! :D I'd upgrade your wires to 8mm (stock is 7mm), upgrade your factory coils to MSD, and change your spark plugs. If you've got a higher mileage car (75K+) I'd put in some Bosch platinums.Lots of stuff for our motor can be found here at AMM Performance

Good luck and keep searching these boards for more answers. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
        95 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Bosch plugs/MSD wires, K&N FIPK , Magnaflow catback, hi-flo cat, B&M Shift+, Dee\'s spacer<br />Kenwood KDX-859, eXcelon Amps, Infinity Kappa 3-way doors and Perfect10 sub<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/harbins95\" target=\"_blank\">Behold, the raw fury that is known as the 3.4!!!</a>

Comment

What type of gears do you have now? A lot of people change gears to gain acceleration, and they say it doesnt hurt gas mileage by more than a few miles, nothing to lose sleep over at least. I plan on swapping my 3.08's for 3.73's as soon as I can save up a few more bucks. But I've heard that's the biggest mod you will feel. Doesnt add horsepower, but will give you more oomph off the line.
          AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

Don't go with a Jetchip, it is a waste of money IMO. It was my second mod on my 92 3.1 after a drop in. It basicly did nothing, and the thing was 200 bucks. Then I did a full catback and hiflow cat, way bigger gains.
            I would do this:
            • Tune up
              CAI
              Headers and Catback
              Torque Converter (if Auto)
              gears
              shift kit
              All. driveshaft

Then if you have some money left over, get some suspention mods.

And if you have more money, dive into the engine internals, or jump on the turbo/supercharger wagon.

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: PewterBird ]</p>
            Cardomain

Comment

Thanks a lot. I've been looking at the American Muscle Motorsports webpage and I have found many of the mods everyoen has mentioned. I was wondering which is the best CAI (http://www.ammperformance.com/V6Induction.html)? And is there any way to just replace the pipes instead of getting a whole new exhaust system... it was a gift to me so I'd rather not get rid of it. Also the Hypertech Programmer is for the 2001-2002 F-Body. Also, does the 3.73 gear sacrifice a lot of gas milage? Thanks for everyone's help. It has made these decisions a whole lot easier.
              1995 3.4L A4 Firebird White w/T-Tops *SOLD*<br />**NEW CAR**<br />2004 White Cavalier Coupe<br />2.2l ECOtec 5 speed

Comment

I can't find any torque converters for sale, at least for a 3.8, on the internet. How much do they usually run and how much would it cost to have one installed.
                Th3 RiCk
                1998 A4 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fierdon:
                  I was wondering which is the best CAI <hr></blockquote>

SLP
                  [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                  1996 Camaro RS Bright Red<br />3.8L V6 A4 3.42\'s<br />K&N Filtercharger<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler<br />Y87 Performance Package

Comment

fierdon- go to a muffler shop and theyll have pipes that they can put on w/o you having to get a whole new exhaust system. 3.73's dont sacrifice but a couple mpg if that.

th3 rick- most people run a edge, yank, or vigilante t/c. ask some people for the websites. also, the converters run for around 300-1000 depending on what you want and where you get it. im not sure about installation price
                    1992 Camaro RS<br />Performance: K/N filter and custom CAI<br />Stereo/Electronics: 10\" Kicker Subwoofers, DEHP-4400 Pioneer Head Unit<br />Maintenance: New brake lines, New transmission mount<br />Upcoming: Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, Catco Catalytic Converter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X