issues with leaks, even without t-tops - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

issues with leaks, even without t-tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issues with leaks, even without t-tops

This past weekend I drove home from Ocean City on Saturday afternoon. Had a good time there, lots of rice, but some nice muscle too. The domestics were basically out hunting [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . Anyway, on the way home was a storm, with very heavy rain throughout my drive which was about 2 and a half hours. I didn't notice until after an hour and a half or so, but I had a puddle forming on the passenger side floor. By the time I got home, it was a decent amount of water, fortunately it stayed up front and never went over that bump we all hate. My seals are good, seemed like it was coming through under the dash, not through a window or anything. Maybe someting ran down there that shouldn't have gotten through? I drive in the rain often, and even on decent length trips I've never had this before. It may only be an issue with so much extra rain than normal and on a long drive. Anyone else have this problem and know where the water could have came through? There where no visual leaks to be found.
    \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

This sounds exactly like the leak I had in my '01. They tried replacing the weather stripping in the door jam and that helped. The problem did not get solved until they replaced the entire windshield. Fortunatly for me it was done under warranty. I hope your problem is not as serious!
    2001 Maple Red Firebird, no ops<br />Whisper lid, K&N Air Filter<br />MBQuarts, PPI and a 10\" JL Audio<br />\"Shockwave\" decal<br />-- I\'m just getting started :) --

Comment

Update: Today was the first day I ran my AC in a while, and I noticed a very very slight amount of water coming through under the dash, it wasn't raining at the time. I'm thinking that it may have come from condensation on the AC compressor, and the leak must be in the firewall. It may have only been the first time a considerable amount came in on the trip where it rained, but now I'm looking so I noticed. I may try some kind of cheap homemade seal up under the dash. Doesn't seem to be coming from the windshield seals unless there is also a problem there in heavy rain. Any other suggestions?
      \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

Comment

my t-tops used to leak when it rained...could hear em squeeling with the leak when you drove all the time...no leaks in the pickup thank god

Comment

You might just need the windows realigned. Had that done on my previous Firebird and it solved my water leak issues (I just had a slight drip).

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Dominic ]</p>
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

But how would the water appear to be coming from under the dash where it meets the carpeting if the leak is coming from the windshield or window? Is it possible water could get through up top and run down to come out under the dash?

Comment

I could actually see mine drip down the kick panel just in front of the door jamb.
              2001 Maple Red Firebird, no ops<br />Whisper lid, K&N Air Filter<br />MBQuarts, PPI and a 10\" JL Audio<br />\"Shockwave\" decal<br />-- I\'m just getting started :) --

Comment

If you've run wiring through the grommet under the pcm, that's a common water entry point. I haven't figured exactly where the water originates from. But it seems to run down the wires and get in, if the grommet doesn't seal perfectly.

One place that water drips into the engine compartment, is from that plastic tray the wipers sit in. There are plastic push rivets that hold it down, and water drips around those. There is one right over the middle of the front coil, and water drips onto that coil when it rains or the car is washed. There may be one of those rivets near the wires going into that grommet on the passenger side.
                \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

The plastic tray your referring to doesn't hold tight up against the windshield. Mine has always been like that, but I never thought anything of it. It is likely thats where the waters coming in before it runs down and comes throught at some point? I don't have any extra wiring done by the way.

Comment

I had a water leak caused by a faulty firewall seal. They solved it by using some silicone sealant - but had to take apart the entire dash t get to the leak.

The symptoms were:

- Always happened after rain
                    - Puddled on front passenger side
                    - Water would drip down the passenger side of the tranny tunnel.
                    - Lower-pitched horn would stop working / short out until it dried out.
                    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Storm? whats that, its been like 80º since like january?
                      97 Special Edition Bird , Short bus stlye special

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X