Generic coil packs not as strong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic coil packs not as strong?

Ok, so my #5 coil pack went out this weekend, and i replaced it with an autozone one. It was generic, cause it was all they had at the time. Anyway, the misfire is totally gone, but the car just doesnt feel as strong as it did.

Has anyone replaced their stock coils with the generic ones and felt a power decrease? It doesnt quite feel like a total decrease, its just like it almost hits spots in the RPM range (dont know if its consistant spots) where the car just surges and pulls like it used to, then stops pulling as hard.

Oh, when i say 'generic', i mean that they look like the regular black coil packs, but dont have numbers on them. I think it was made by a company that started with a 'W'.

Anyone?

Are the plugs that were connected to the bad coil pack fouled up?
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss:
      Are the plugs that were connected to the bad coil pack fouled up?
      good call, ill have to check the #5 plug

Comment

stretch em a little and look for little rips or burn marks. Also, at night, if the car is missing sometimes you can see it arcing to a metal surface and you'll know if the wire needs replacing.
        <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Batmobile:
          stretch em a little and look for little rips or burn marks. Also, at night, if the car is missing sometimes you can see it arcing to a metal surface and you'll know if the wire needs replacing.
          wires are brand new, they are fine, i know that for a fact. they are away from exhaust and wrapped also.

ill def have to check the 5 plug tho.

Comment

Did you get this figured out yet?

-Jeff

Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

yes, actually, the #5 plug in the cyl. that was misfiring was fouled. replaced it with another one i had tonight and took it out and it ran just as hard as before

so remember kiddies: if you have a constant miss, dont forget to change the plug! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow I hadn't seen this before actually i've had 2 coils crap out on me in 3 days both purchased at the same time and both from autozone, I then realized they sell sucky coilpacks I had to trade all of mine for new ones. Oh well.

BTW I changed my wires TWICE
                ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

Comment

Cool, glad it was something on the less expensive side, though #1 or #2 plugs would have been nicer on your hands, eh?

Go Sabres!

Comment

I replaced the #5 on my car about 3000 miles ago and have had no problems with the auto zone coil.
                    95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss:
                      Cool, glad it was something on the less expensive side, though #1 or #2 plugs would have been nicer on your hands, eh?
                      #5 is the easiest to get to. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X