No announcement yet.

F-body common repairs, problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well they tell me its more than that, they say the torque converter is going and all this other crap. so i dunno i dont even want to bother with it these trannys suck
    99\' W68 Firebird<br />SLP Ram air kit,Whisper Air Lid, k&n, 8mm Taylor Wires, Bridgestone Potenzas RE950, BMR Red LCAs, Pacesetter Headers and 3\"in catalytic converter with 2.75\" Flowmaster Cat-back<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/501008\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/501008</a>

Comment

Yeah, that can happen. They said my fluid was burnt from the torque converter slipping. But they said the torque converter was still ok because there was no friction material in the pan. You may have waited too long with the TCC valve failing and fried your converter. You have to catch it early. Still, all you should need is the Sonnax TCC kit and torque converter which should be about 700 bucks altogether. If you can get a good tranny for about the same it's probably worth it.
      1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

I'm gonna have to be an *** and be the guy to tell you otherwise. I am approaching 116k and I am on stock EVERYTHINFG still. Meaning alternator, radiator, shocks, struts, starter, water pump etc. I have had problems with my ignition and I replaced my rear axle, but nothing that was surprising to me. I am still amazed at this little ****er of an engine is still pulling like the day I got it with 45k
        97 Camaro RS<br /><br />\"Just a V6 huh?, let\'s go find out how slow it is\"

Comment

Alternator,radiator,battery,Crankshaft position sensor,MAF sensor,tensioner assembly,VSS sensor(leak),Both window motors,PCM,new key,power steering hose,plug wires,tranny mount,rear main seal

[ December 14, 2004, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Coriya71 ]
          95 Camaro 3.8L Y2K motor <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71</a>

Comment

the seal between the tranny and engine goes all the time as well as the oil pan gasket
            Mystic Teal Metallic
            ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

2 alternators
              plugs and wires (about a month ago)
              Catalytic converter
              flush cooling system
              1999 Camaro Silver 5spd<br />Appearence Mods:<br />-Clear Corners -Tail Lights off a 93-96 Camaro -Painted Black Calipers w/ Silver Camaro Decal on front ones -Black Camaro Rear Fill Decal -Silver Camaro Front Fill Decal -Painted Silver Interior Pieces -RKSport Shift Knob<br />Performance Mods:<br />-Eibach springs -Whisper Lid -Removed MAF screen -Free Ram Air -Trans Am Dual Exhaust -3\" Cutout<br />Stereo System:<br />-Eclipse 8v Head Unit -Eclipse 87series 12\' Subs -Rockford Fosgate 800wt amp (subs) -MTX 225wt amp (highs)<p>AOL IM is jay eub, msn messenger is banks_2003@hotmail.com

Comment

KNocks on wood...103k on mine

New wires at 95k (only because the #3 wire burned)
                new plugs at 85k (replaced because I felt like it) with AC Delco Professionals (NGK TR55ix's in AC Delco clothing), noticed zero gains in MPG or power which said to me that the stockers really do last to 100k no problem
                2 fuel filters because I drive a lot
                I think the previous owner replaced the belt, I put 30k on the car since I bought it, still looks fine.
                Change tranny fluid and filter every 10-12k with walmart brand fluid, runs great

The dreaded valve body replacement due to the P1870 code and replaced TC at the same time because I felt like it with a stall converter.

Oh, my passenger side valve cover started leaking about 5k ago, so I replaced the gasket. Also decided to polish the valve covers when I replaced the gaskets, now I have two bling bling valve covers. :D

And thats it. Original alternator, A/C compressor, water pump, radiator (AND fluid, I know how to add water to it, I love dexcool),p/s pump and tensioner.

I'm pretty sure the rear axle gear oil has never been changed either. I think I have one of those exceptionally reliable f-bodies. However, my thirdgen has power everything. I knew better. I told the guy at carmax, I want THE MOST STRIP DOWN F-body you have on this lot. I really didn't want an A4, but they didn't have any M5's in my price range.
                -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I must just have one of the worst ones ever built...this sucks.
                  1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

water pump
                    power steering pump
                    PCM
                    fuel filter
                    alternator
                    radio (twice-both stock)
                    plugs
                    wires
                    2 ignition coils
                    PCV valve
                    2 window motors
                    other regular wear and tear stuff
                    95,800 miles
                    <a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/e/defrag/sig.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">1997 Firebird V6-Y87/W68</a>

Comment

window motors, ignition cylinder, rear main, and rear pinion are common
                      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i've replaced:
                        starter
                        oil pump
                        coils
                        headlight motors (nothing you need to worry about)

on the way out:
                        window motors
                        passenger window and lock switches
                        rear speakers (that's my fault haha)

1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X