defroster shuts off fast ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defroster shuts off fast ?

when i warm up my car in the morning i turn the front defroster on half way and turn on the rear. about 10 minutes later my rear defroster is shut off when i get in the car and there is still ice on the window. whats the problem here is this normal ??
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

better than mine. my rear defroster shuts off after about 30seconds and takes about 5 minutes before I can get it to come back on again.
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Originally posted by ellik:
      better than mine. my rear defroster shuts off after about 30seconds and takes about 5 minutes before I can get it to come back on again.
      mine does the same thing pisses me off :mad:

the defroster is suppose to stay on for 10 mins on the first push and 5 on the 2nd push
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Yes, the first push is around 10 minutes and I have heard about 7 minutes for each push thereafter until you restart the car. If it turns off faster than 10 minutes the first try something is wrong. It usually takes me 2 or 3 pushes on mine to remove ice on the rear window. Try a scraper!
        1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Same here. It must be another one of those famous F-Body problems
          New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
          RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
          crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
          The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

I can top all of you guys. Mine doesn't even come on. I just hear the button for the rear defroster click, and it does nothing. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

any way to make it stay on till i shut it off ?
              1997 Camaro LS1 RS
              1994 Camaro - Sold
              1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

OK, well anyone know what it is, a fuse or selenoid or something that typically goes bad that can be replaced?
                \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

OK, well anyone know what it is, a fuse or selenoid or something that typically goes bad that can be replaced?
                  I've been through 2 service manuals, 1 chiltons and 1 haynes, and they all said the same thing;

"if not working properly, test it" :mad: ! It has no description of any solenoid or relay to test. Friggin GM!
                  sigpic

Comment

Mine lasts for 30 seconds and turns off too. It has to be something about the heat of it makes it cut off but they go haywire and turn off way too soon.
                    \'96 A4 Camaro 3800<br />Nothing but... <br />Flowmaster 40 series

Comment

well i though it might be becuase of a broken line and it over heating and shuting off... i checked all mine and they are fine...

so it has to be the button or the timing circiut. it must be a ceinoid or relay somewhere thats bad...... anyone's car in warrenty that can take it in and see what they did to fix it?..
                      www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Same here.

There's a relay or something in behind that button. If you pull off your climate control panel mine was attached to the left side of the metal bracket that holds it.

It was around $30 for the part from a dealer and it worked great for about a day and a half and then it started doing the "only stays on for a minute" crap again.

I'll see if I can dig up that invoice and get a part number or description off it in case anybody wants to throw $30 away.
                        1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

The hearsay is that the circuit the defroster is on does not have a fuse. Instead, it uses a circuit breaker. This particular breaker seems to go bad pretty easily. I don't remember off-hand what the ampage is on that breaker, but it stands to reason that it could be replaced with a fuse of the same or maybe 5amps higher. I think this breaker is in with the fuses, but cabin or engine compartment, I don't know.

I'll be looking in to this later today, after work.
                          Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

weres HBH i bet he knows
                            www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ:
                              Same here.

There's a relay or something in behind that button. If you pull off your climate control panel mine was attached to the left side of the metal bracket that holds it.

It was around $30 for the part from a dealer and it worked great for about a day and a half and then it started doing the "only stays on for a minute" crap again.

I'll see if I can dig up that invoice and get a part number or description off it in case anybody wants to throw $30 away.
                              somthing esle must be wrong and is over loading the thing.....
                              www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                                Good to see the site is back up
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                                6 hours ago
                              • FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X