Radiator thumping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator thumping...

Yeah, this is weird. Lately I've been hearing a thump thump thump from inside the car when idling. It's coming from the engine compartment. I finally checked it out yesterday, but I couldn't hear it with the hood open. So I started feeling around. It wasn't the engine, or accesories, it's the radiator! When I touch the radiator I can feel the thump thump thump.

What can that be? There is nothing mechanical in there. All I can think of is that this summer I flushed my coolant. Perhaps I didn't get all the air out and that's causing it. Other than that, I have no clue.

Anybody have any ideas?

[ December 17, 2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Silver 99 Camaro ]
    1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

that black plastic pice that over the RAD is all that hold it in the car lol..

lossen the bolts and pul the RAD to you and then tighen the bots agian and it shouldn't clunk around any more i have to do that to mine about 1 time a month lol
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

You have the dreaded radiator monster...DO NOT open the cap.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
        You have the dreaded radiator monster...DO NOT open the cap.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
        [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
          [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]
          -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

Well, I don't think it's moving around, it does it at idle. Do you really think it's moving in the plastic thing? I can try it.

It does sound like it's coming from inside the radiator. It looked great inside a few months ago...I have no clue what could have happened.

Comment

There's probably air trapped in there. Since you have a 99, did you follow that special procedure where you bleed the air out?
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

The air was the first thing I tried, bleeding it through the upper bleed screw by the thermostat housing. There was no air in there.

I did find the problem. It's the same problem I've been having, the AC compressor. I pulled the fuse so I could wait until summer to replace it because it is falling apart inside. Well, apparently the clutch is falling apart too! What a piece of $%&*!

What it's doing is clunking really bad and transmitting the vibration through the AC lines into the condenser. The condenser is attached to the radiator therefore I though the raidator was thumping. Weirdest thing I've ever seen....

Comment

Good detective work!
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Thanks!

I have a question...if the AC compressor is thumping while off (the fuse is pulled, the clutch can't engage), then I am correct in assuming the clutch bearing is going bad, right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X