About to run Sea Foam, change wires, plugs(need suggestions) and what else? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to run Sea Foam, change wires, plugs(need suggestions) and what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to run Sea Foam, change wires, plugs(need suggestions) and what else?

This is the first tune up that I've realy done to my car. It has 34,500 miles on it and still on the original plugs and wires, possibly even belt.
    For wires I want Taylor, Accel didn't impress me when I put them on my 3.4 and didn't much care for the custom fit wires that didn't quite fit.

Plugs I'm not quite sure which I want, please advise. Since this is the first and I don't really want to do it again any time soon, I want something that will last and perform. I'm looking at either Bosch Platinum, 2, +4's, AC Delco Platinums, NGK TR55, TR55-IX or URV-VX. Also wondering, some of these plugs come with a gap set to something other than 0.060, do I need to change that or is that the gap the plug is suppose to work best at?

I'm going to attempt to change the belt also. Is there anything else that I need to look into changing? Fuel filter? I've heard that you need to change those once a year but who actually does that? If I do need to do the fuel filter is there a good step by step to follow where I won't end up spraying myself with gas or anything?
    1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Kendall, the choice on the wires and junk is yours, I sell some at work and can hook you up if you like. As far as changing the belt, fuel filter, etc....I have done them all and can help you if you like. Just IM me anytime.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

If you are going to use SeaFoam, I would use it before you change everything. That way when you are burning out the carbon, you don't run the risk of fouling any of the new plugs or sensors(if you change). I have heard of O2 plugs going bad after use of Seafoam. That is why I kept my old ones around when I changed them. Next time I run Seafoam I will put the old ones back in just for that.

Comment

So has anybody tried or does anybody know if Iridium is worth any more in performace or lifespan than $2 platinum?

Are Platinum +4 any better than regualar $2 platinum?

What about the gap question? What are the NGK TR55's anyways? Copper or Platinum?
        1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

I use the regular Bosh platinum's. So far i like them. I have heard that the +4's arn't worth the money. Your call.

Comment

as far as plugs I'd stick with the OE delco platinums. Yes they are expensive but they work and your car's ignition system was designed to work with them.. now if you are going to be running nitrous.. well that changes everything and is well beyond my knowledge..
            -Brad
            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
            :rock:

Comment

I just have to put in a vote against Bosch +4. I put them in and am having problems with misfire at idle, never under load, just idle. I think it is due to the fact that you can't adjust the gap on them.
              <a href=\"http://www.fatninjas.com/camaro\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Convertible</a>

Comment

Just a little something I found: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...multipower.asp

"Multi Power plugs are not for all applications, as they can tend to quench the spark, or hamper the ability of the flame to grow from the initial ignition point. However, the multiple ground electrode configuration can help alleviate a number of problems, including hard starting, excessive fouling or misfiring. They are also effective for vehicles with very high ignition system voltages and/or combustion chamber temperatures.

Typical applications for Multi Power spark plugs include factory turbocharged engines, Mazda rotary engines, and other high-compression type engines.

Remember that Multi Power spark plugs, or any other multiple electrode type spark plug, cannot provide more than one spark at a time. The primary purpose of the multiple electrode spark plug is to achieve greater spark plug durability and reliability over the life of the plug."

If you want, go here: http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Sp...PlatinumPlus4/
                Click on Performance Guarantee Form, print that out and send it in, maybe you will be able to get your money back.

Comment

NGK's... You can't go wrong.
                  <b>YYZ28, <i>Founder and President; <a href=\"http://www.torquecentral.com\" target=\"_blank\">Torquecentral.com:</a></i> Your <i>SOURCE</i> for American Muscle</b><p><b>2000 CAMARO Z28</b> Sebring Silver Metallic, Ebony Leather, 5.7L/346cid LS1 V8, A4, Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.23 Rear-End w/ Posi, Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Z-Rated Tires, Traction Control & 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, ’01 LS6 Cam & Springs, R&R Stage 2 Heads, 11.1:1 Compression, Whisper Ram-Air, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter, LS6 MAF, BV Custom Tuning, MAC Headers, Nick’s Muffler’s Custom 3” Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, 3” Cut-Out, QTEC Electric Cut-Out Plate, LG Motorsports Sub-Frame Connectors, LG Motorsports Strut Tower Brace, LG Motorsports Lower Control Arms, BMR Pan-Hard Rod, 1LE Springs, Red Wire Loom, Silver Gage Faces,<p><b>HP/TQ: 385HP/388TQ @ Rear Wheels (Est. 484HP @ Crank)<br />1/4 Mile: 12.4 @ 112MPH, 1.9 60’</b>

Comment

hehe you guys are gong ot argue that much about plugs.

i have used bosch +4 platinums, Accel u grooves, stock ones, and now AC Delco Rapidfires. Aolmost nill in any performance gain other then form doing a tune up.

how did the universal wires not fit? They should be universal. Personally i been happy with them, sjut a pain int he *** to cut and mount the boot.

clean your K&N or replace your air filter whayever needs to be done.

PVC vavle for fun.

Flush the motor, with oil change. i would also run a fuel injectore cleaner before you change the filter. go ahead and change the belt, its old lifetime wise.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X